News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1936 Cadillac 70 Series V8

Started by Bernard, July 27, 2017, 06:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernard

Hi
I intend to buy a 1936 Cadillac from a Person in a different Country as I live.
To have some genereal information and to be aware of some specialities of this year of Cadillac I am looking for as much information as possible of the car.
Does anyone of you Members could share some basic information as production figures for this specific modell of 70 Series or the history.
May you can tell me also some important questions which I need to ask the current owner.

Here some information of the specific 1936 Cadillac 70 Series that I intend to buy:
- rumble seat with trunk compartment under the rumble seat
- missing rumble seat step for the bumper

I have also attached 3 pics with Body Tag, a number stamped into the frame and the engine which fitted a 1947 Cadillac according to the last owner.

Many thanks for your efforts.
Best regards,
Bernard
Bernard Riebel

Bernard

Maybe someone has a picture of an original rear bumper step?
Many thanks!!!
Bernard Riebel

harry s

Bernard, The first thing I notice is the cylinder heads are from a WW II era tank. They work fine just a different look. I do not see the engine number boss which should be just behind the water pump on a '47 engine. Maybe it is there but just can't be seen. If it is not there the engine number should be on the rear crankcase driver's side just ahead of the bell housing. The color number 36 indicates Kalmuth Green. My references don't cover the interior number. Looks like a really nice car if all is as presentable the what is showing in your pictures.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bernard

Hi Harry
Thanks for these information. Will contact seller to get the engine number.
Many thanks again,
Bernard
Bernard Riebel

KenZ

Bernard,
Not uncommon for the 1936 Cadillac's to utilize a later model/military engine.  It was a one year only engine but similar to the later models 1937-1948.  I have a WWII tank engine currently installed in my 1936 (7529) with the original in storage.  Good Luck,  Ken Z     

Bernard

Hi Harry
I have received following response from the seller:
The engine number is 8427690.
Can you find some information with this number?

Many thanks,
Bernard
Bernard Riebel

harry s

Bernard, That number corresponds to a 1947 62 Series as represented by the seller.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: starkoel19 on July 27, 2017, 12:39:40 PM
Hi Harry
I have received following response from the seller:
The engine number is 8427690.
Can you find some information with this number?

Many thanks,
Bernard
Bernard,
Harry is correct. Before I comment further... what # is shown on the title?? And what does your country  use as a VIN for that car?? Please advise.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bernard

Bob,
Thanks for your reply.
Owner has the old 'Pink Slip' as it was called which shows it still had its original engine in 1980, and it's number was 3110553. 
Here in Switzerland we do register the cars with the chassis number.
Hope these information helps ;-)

Many thanks,
Bernard
Bernard Riebel

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bernard,
Here's the deal. Cadillac played a stupid little game in those years. The ID of the car was the motor #. Then in 36 & 37, they stamped a PARTIAL VIN on the frame. Compare what the pink slip says to your car. See what I mean? All because Cadillac refused to affix a VIN plate on the A pillar. I don't know how to handle that with your DMV. Do NOT let them ID it by the engine #. Where is the original motor? Keep us posted.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.