News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Funeral cars

Started by CADEE, July 30, 2017, 10:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CADEE

I was told recently that some funeral homes that were owned by African Americans, liked to use "blue" colored cars as the led car, or as the funeral coach. I may not have the vehicle type terminology correct here.
I have a 69 Fleetwood Brougham, which is a medium blue in color, which at one time someone put a hood ornament on the center crease of the hood about one foot from the front of the hood.
I thought this was odd and when I was at a large show recently, someone told me  about the African American funeral cars being blue and that maybe they put some kind of ornament there or a flag holder.
When I got the car there was just a "base" for an ornament.
I've googled African American funeral homes to find out if this "blue" colored cars was correct but I could not find anything relating to it.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Brad.
1962 Series 62 Convertible.
1969 Fleetwood Brougham

m-mman

Funeral homes want to stand out from their competitors like any other business. 
They want to be remembered so that they will be called when the need arises.  As you can imagine this is a difficult business sector to promote without becoming macabre or offensive.

Until the last 10-20 years most funeral homes were independently owned and the business was passed from generation to generation. Starting in the late 80s there was a huge national wide consolidation that happened in the industry.  This has resulted in many changes from what I write below and is not consistent today but you were asking about older cars.

In the traditional (white) culture, black is the color associated with adult morning. (child deaths use white for morning)
Black community culture might have a mixture of many cultures. (think of the cultural melting pot that makes up New Orleans) There may not be a single obligatory mourning color. 
FYI- the traditional Chinese mourning color is red. . . .

What all this adds up to is that yes 'traditional' hearses (and other funeral vehicles) would likely be black. However ANY single funeral home might also have a tradition of using a particular color ACROSS THEIR FLEET. This would include the limos, removal vehicles, flower cars etc.
But a funeral home is also a profit making business and to insist on a particular color across the fleet would impede with their buying used vehicles or the trade in value of their existing vehicles. Matching colors for a fleet is expensive.

You used the term 'lead car'. This is a vehicle that heads up the procession (cortege) leading the 'parade' from the church to the cemetery. Following it ensures that everyone arrives at the correct grave site. The use of a lead car is an expensive addition to a funeral and something that is not commonly used. In most cases mourners just follow the hearse. The justification for  the purchase/use of a lead car might be nothing but a reason for the funeral director to buy a luxury sedan for his own personal use.

When thinking about the funeral industry it also has to remembered that many of the vehicles are 'rented' for the occasion. A funeral home might not own any of their own vehicles they might be supplied by a 'livery' or 'mortuary accommodation' service.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

CADEE

Thank you for the information M-MMAN.
Brad.
1969 Fleetwood Brougham

CADEE

I will do that, all is well with both of us. James has two young boys now so they come before his Cadillac's!
I keep trying to get him out to cruise nights and car shows but the schedules never seem to work out. I'll keep trying...
Brad.
Brad.
1969 Fleetwood Brougham

JerRita

I used to shoe horses for a black funeral parlor owner from Brooklyn in the 70's  He had a fleet of dark blue Cadillacs I wish I would have traded some shoes for Caddys
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

D.Smith

I've been a PCS member(on and off) for 30 years.   Plus many of my friends are in the Funeral industry.    Never heard of the blue car story.    As said earlier, black was traditional, sometimes white was associated with a childs death, but more in respect to the casket.  A funeral home would not have a white car just for the odd chance they had a childs funeral. 

Funeral cars in colors other than black were usually done just to stand out from your competition in town.    I've seen them in just about every color you can imagine.  When your competition is using all black cars and your cars are gold, the public will spot your funeral procession and instantly know it is your funeral home.  So a unique color on your Hearse, Limousine, flower car, lead car etc is like a rolling billboard.   But as said, keeping your fleet all in the same color year after year requires you to special order (or repaint) a new car to your fleet.  Time consuming and expensive.

Walter Youshock

Popularity of black fleets also decreased because of keeping them clean.

Firms I worked at had white, green and gray.  More than once we'd have to clean the white walls the morning of the funeral if the car had been out for a removal the night before.

Can't tell how many times I washed cars in a suit...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I owned a six door Collins car once used in a funeral home in Tyson's Corner, VA. It was medium metallic blue with a dark blue vinyl top.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville