News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Water Pump bolt sealant.

Started by Tpicks55, August 04, 2017, 09:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpicks55

Replacing the waterpump on my 75 Eldorado and the book states to apply sealant to some bolts but I don't see what type sealant to use unless I missed it.  Any Ideas? Tony
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

Bob Schuman

Tony,
I like Permatex #2, a black thick non-hardening material in a tube. There are other good sealers, and I'm sure you will get several other good recommendations.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

TJ Hopland

Also note that the torque for the small bolts is listed in INCH pounds,  not foot pounds like the rest.    Don't be surprised if in the past someone else missed that little detail and the threads are damaged.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Tpicks55

Thanks for the replys.  I have the permetex already and considered it.  I also have to put a helicoil in one stud as as you said TJ someone missed the inch pound torque.    Thanks again.  Tony
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS