News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel Additive

Started by Sconnors, August 04, 2017, 10:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sconnors

Looking for some advice for my 1968 Cadillac as far as fuel goes, what do you guys use for octane and do you use any fuel additive??
Scott Connors

Dan LeBlanc

No additive in my 1970 472 but always use the highest octane rating I can find.  Luckily, here in Atlantic Canada, premium unleaded is ethanol free.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

jdemerson

I'd have a strong preference for ethanol-free fuel. Here in New England that means at least 91 octane, and I am pretty sure your '68 needs that (or higher). I'm not big on gasoline additives, except for Sta-Bil when storing the car and a lead substitute for cars before around 1971.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac SedN 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

David Greenburg

And if you don't have ethanol-free fuel, I'd recommend an additive like Marine Sta-bil to protect against ethanol damage.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

jdemerson

Quote from: David Greenburg on August 04, 2017, 11:00:06 PM
And if you don't have ethanol-free fuel, I'd recommend an additive like Marine Sta-bil to protect against ethanol damage.

Very much agree, and I always use the Marine version of Sta-Bil. It costs a bit more for the bottle than regular Sta-Bil, but is cheaper on a per-treatment basis (and better) in the long run. I think it's an excellent product.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

chrisntam

I spoke with a Sta-bil rep at the last Mecum Auction I attended, he recommended the Sta-bil 360.  My '70 stays parked in the garage, I start it and drive it every week or two, approx. 10 to 20 miles each weekend.

I fill up every other month or so.

What is the benefit of Marine Sta-bil over the regular Sta-bil?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

James Landi

Owning several boats powered by big block GM motors (454cid), I can attest to the harsh reality of ethanol separation--- the nasty powdery  gunk floats to the bottom of you carb, and a strata of nasty liquid that does not burn (comprised mainly of water?) can live at the bottom of your fuel tank.  The marine additive appears to work, yet better still is purchasing ethanol free fuel, especially at the end of the driving season.   Another additive that works to helps to
raise the boiling temperature in your carburetor is Marvel Mystery oil.  I add 8 oz to a full tank, and the hard starting on hot days "mysteriously" vanishes.    Happy day,  James

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks James,

That would account for the gunk that was fouling the tank, Carby and fuel pump in my boat.   I could never figure out what it was when I stripped my boat down, as having never seen the contamination before (I am a shipwright by trade) in any boat I have worked on here in Tasmania.

Sadly, it is not a Cadillac, but what I would call the Cadillac of pleasure boats.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon