News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Tar/Bitumen based sound deadening material

Started by Ron Morey, August 04, 2017, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Morey

After being dormant for 40 years the 47 series 61 runs and drives, Wiring is almost complete, glass and interior are next. Unfortunately quite a bit of the original sound deadening material has degraded. I have searched long and hard for replacement material. The one of greatest concern is on the trunk lid as this will be visible. I could cover it over but I don't believe the Series 61 had this level of class originally. Has anyone been able to source this material. It was used for decades on every domestic and most foreign cars I have seen. It is about 3/16" thick, has a pressed diamond like pattern and appears to be tar soaked paper. It also covered the underside roof, wheel arches, floor, some of the engine compartment and various small patches throughout the car. Any possible sources are greatly appreciated. I have thought of trying to remove a trunk sized piece from some other car. Anyone dealt with this problem and willing to share the experience? Thanks in advance, Ron Morey

fishnjim

If you're talking about the period sprayed in lining, I haven't found it either.   It's a mess to remove after it hardens.
The modern undercoat stuff is rubber based and too thin and the lizard skin isn't period.   There should be a source because they used to have to reapply on repair body work.   I've just used the modern undercoat stuff in a pinch.   Maybe gone via EPA...
The splash shields are masticated rubber and were sprayed over, and you can get that by the foot/cutouts(some).

5390john

I have a '55 6237 DX that was loaded with the stuff. See photo of the inside of the passenger door, it shows the sound deadener before I removed it and replaced it with Dynamat extreme.
Also see photos of the replacement material i installed inside the trunk lid. It is made of 2 layers of 30lb roofing felt that was run through a textured roller. It's about as close as I could get to the original material, BELIEVE ME, I searched!
SMS in Canby Oregon did the work. If you call them, ask for Doug, the owner, tell him I sent ya.
Also, I was told (after I removed it) that the old material could be asbestos, I hope that was wrong info. Might want to be careful.........
Hope this helps
John Adams

1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Ron Morey

John, thanks for the info. Definitely a possibility. I will look at local options. Ron.

49 Convertible

There is a company in Redlands CA that sells Lincoln Continental material for that purpose and it appears to be very close in appearance.  Maybe Google Lincoln restoration in Redlands CA.  Maybe he still sells it
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

49 Convertible

sorry not in Redlands but Riverside CA and they are called MK II enterprises.  It is sold by the sheet.
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

Ron Morey

Herman, thanks for the source. I have found the website but am unable to see a listing for the sheets. I will call them. Thanks again, Ron.

Walter Youshock

This is basically the same material used as the underlayment of the cloth trunk lining material.  It was actually an oil soaked matting.  The reason the original trunk linings needed to be replaced was the oil leaching out of this stuff and into the wool and cotton lining.

This was actually pressed between the trunk lid and understructure then slightly over painted at Fleetwood.  To properly replace it, one would have to separate the lid skin from the framing. 

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham