News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

GVWR Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 1959 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Started by Bill Pipeer, August 06, 2017, 08:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Pipeer

Hi folks, in order to import and register a 1959 Series 62 coupe here in France I require the GVWR of the vehicle. Basically the laden/gross weight.

If anyone can tell me, I would much appreciate it.

Many thanks,  Bill Piper.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The curb weight of a Series 62 Coupe is  4912 Pounds, or 2228 Kg.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Pipeer

Hi Bruce, thanks for that..............but, the GVWR is the kerb weight plus passengers and  trunk contents.  It s normally associated with goods vehicles but

cars also have them.

Many thanks anyway,  Bill.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Well, all you need to do is count the number of passengers that will fill your car, then weigh them, plus the contents of what you put in your trunk, and add that to the weight I listed.

The weight I sent you is for a car with a Radio, Heater, and a full tank of Gas.

If your car has Air Suspension, then you need to add a further 50 Lbs.

The other way is to simply fill up the car, in all areas, and drive to a weighbridge.

The Factory measurements might not be obtainable for what you are specifically asking as there is so many variables to consider.   Weight and size of all passengers, and the weight of baggage are always going to be difficult.   It is a family of 6, going on a picnic, or a group of adults going on a 6 week vacation.

Me thinks that the French Transport authorities are trying to be obstructive, and not willing to look past the current vehicle specifications that come in a spreadsheet.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Another case of a foreign government (to the US) hard lining a person trying to import a car. Not to mention taxing it to death!! And Bruce... you Aussies know how it feels. Why do your governments do it??? While they're worrying about cars & parts, loads of drugs & illegal  items are coming it. GVWR on a car??? Give me a break. Unheard of here.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The funny thing is that there are other parts of the World we live in, and where each and everyone of us live, we have to abide by the laws and regulations of that Country.

Would we live any where else? heck no.   There is no place like home, and yes, some Governments do things different ways, and some people that work for those governments cannot do things differently than what they were trained to do.

The biggest problem comes with the use of computers.   And this comes down to the Computer Programmers.   They are instructed to supply the necessary requirements, but don't realise that some things simply don't meet the requirements of the current times.

If the operator cannot fill in all the boxes, the computer doesn't allow it to progress any further.

I had that happen to me when computers first came into my workspace.   Some person told the programmers what they thought we wanted, and when it came down to the crunch, I told my bosses that if it wasn't corrected, I would go back to the Manual System.   They soon assigned me a programmer to work with me, and it took years to get it working right.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

m-mman

A GVWR is something that applies to trucks. It really doesnt make sense for an auto.

In the truck world a GVWR is the total amount of weight the manufacturer has assigned to the axles, springs, wheels, tires, etc.
The truck (box truck? van?) weighs 2000 pounds empty BUT the axles suspension etc can hold as much as 5000 pounds. To an operator this means that you can load it with 3000 pounds of stuff. (pay load)

There are some legal reasons for assigning a particular GVWR number. In the USA a person with a basic passenger car driver's license can operate any vehicle that has a GVWR of LESS than 26,000 pounds. Any vehicle with a GVWR of GREATER than 26,000 pounds requires a commercial driver's license. 

If you look at a U-haul or rental type moving truck the factory installed tags all state a GVWR of 25,999 pounds (sometimes it shows 24,000 pounds) A U-haul truck might have axles or springs that allow it to safely carry much more than 26,000 pounds but it is RATED for less than 25,000 pounds so that anyone can drive it.

So you asked about a 59 Cad. GM must have stated that information somewhere . . . . but I have never seen it.
This is because the amount of stuff you can put into a moving van is almost unlimited. (as much as you can pile in) A passenger automobile is limited. How many people can you pile into it? (6 passengers?) How much stuff can you put into the trunk? (5-6 suitcases?) It is almost impossible to overload the axles springs etc. Yeah I seen cars dragging their bumpers too but that is unusual

My suggestion to you is to try to determine WHY your government is asking for a GVWR. I suspect that like the driver's license issue, there is some law or limit that you cannot exceed. Find out that limit and then state a GVWR that is significantly less. Which for a 59 Cad it very likely will be.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

The Tassie Devil(le)

Maybe someone was thinking it was a Commercial vehicle, as in a "Yank Tank" ?   Which is what a lot of out of USA people class the larger USA built vehicles.

Here in Australia, the '59 and '60 Ford Fairlanes are referred to as "Tank" Fairlanes, simply because when they came out, they were so much larger than the Customlines they replaced.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

The GVWR is needed in some countries, because they just want it! Same in Switzerland, but in some cantons, road taxes are based on the GVWR.
During my days at GM, I had to do with homologation among other duties. In the fifties and sixties, the GVWR was not assigned for cars by the manufacturers; our authorities accepted this rule: the curb weight plus the number of passenger @ 70 kg each. For that '59 car, 2228 kg + 420 kg= 2648 kg.
I'm attaching the title (or carte grise like the French people say) from my ex 1956 de Ville, showing that calculation.
If your authorities are asking for an official document showing the GVWR  from GM, bad luck: that does not exist.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bill Pipeer

Hi again folks, thank you all for taking the time to contribute. Because this vehicle does not have a European certificate of conformity, it has to be registered through a government department, the FFVE.  This department is used to register any thing outside normal parameters, eg 1953 fire engine, 1949 tractor, etc.
So they need additional information because there is no standard for the vehicles, plant and machinery they register.
In France there are different licences required for towing different weights of trailers and caravans, some licences also include a calculation of the manufacturer's stated gross weight.
The paperwork is extensive, and you are strongly advised not to create information as it were.
For what it's worth, I'm an English guy now retired to rural France, admin and language is sometimes a faff, but a great place, with empty roads for a Cadillac.
So, keep up the good work, I'm sure there is a book worm on the forum who will come up with the answer.

Many thanks,  Bill Piper.

Bill Pipeer

Hello Roger, many thanks for your post and attachment. I was actually posting a general reply when it came through. If the forum allows me to print your post and photo, I'll keep it as a reference to show how I calculated the GVWR.

Thanks again for taking time to help everyone.

Bill Piper.

Roger Zimmermann

Bill, you have to calculate yourself the GVWR as in my previous post. Or to search a similar '59 Cad in France and ask what is the GVWR for this vehicle. The Fédération Française des Véhicules Anciens has no possibility to determine if that data you are submitting are right or not.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Bill Pipeer on August 07, 2017, 03:17:02 AM
If the forum allows me to print your post and photo, I'll keep it as a reference to show how I calculated the GVWR.

I have no problem with that Bill.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Great news.   That is what I call "Cadillac Camaraderie".

There are many ways to, as they say, "skin a cat" but I like it when plans finally come together.

PS.   Your Story reminds me of the TV show, Grand Designs when an English couple try to build their new home in  the French countryside, and all the problems they had with the authorities.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bill Pipeer

Yeap, you've about nailed it Bruce.  A perfect place to live if you don't have too much ambition.

Trouble is, I have the ambition to sit a '59 coupe alongside my series 62 convertible!!

I usually work through these local difficulties though.

Thanks everyone.

Bill.

fishnjim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Traffic_and_Motor_Vehicle_Safety_Act

Before 1966, there were no such requirements, as Roger alludes.   So there maybe a form or document requirement or estimation.   Best to consult an importer in these matters for reasons such as this.

gkhashem

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)