News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

auto glass label etching. Who does it and how?

Started by bariman, August 07, 2017, 05:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bariman

Does anyone know where to get glass etched with the correct label in the lower corner.  Can this be done on glass already on the car?  Help please.

5390john

See attached pdf from Pilkington glass. I got the front windshield from them with the etching done perfectly
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Paul Phillips

Several glass suppliers will do this for you when you order replacement glass.  If your glass is already installed, you should be able to etch it in place, but will need to protect others surfaces from the etching chemicals.  You can take a photo of an existing 'bug' then use a graphics program to clean it up and create artwork for a stencil, get someone with a vinyl plotter to cut the stencil for you, then get a DIY glass etching kit.  Possibly find someone who will supply you with a kit.  Carleton Glass - a Ford supplier - is someone who used to offer the kits, but it was maybe 4-5 years ago that I checked with him.  Also check in Hemmings for others who may advertise this service.

Good Luck!
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

KD

Carlton glass made my logos for my V-16 and they worked great.
KD CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Paul, I did notice the correct date on your beautiful car. I liked the materials you chose for the interior as well. And the paint was fabulous. Most original Oceano Blue cars have faded out to a flat, yuchy color, but yours showed us the depth and glory of the car when it was new. Fantastic work.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Paul Phillips

Thanks Barry!  Hope you are feeling better now.

We were fortunate that in all the repaints the car experienced, they never took the front fenders off.  That left factory paint that had not been sun faded to use for color match.  It took the PPG rep a couple days of trials and sprayouts to get it right and not have the color flop from face to side like modern metallics.  I preserved a 4x4 section on each side as an original paint archive under the fenders.  Some future owner will have a nice surprise when he pulls them off.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

bariman

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: bariman on August 07, 2017, 05:50:12 PM
Does anyone know where to get glass etched with the correct label in the lower corner.  Can this be done on glass already on the car?  Help please.   
I am wondering if this sort of reproduction is in fact legal.

Putting marks on an item that was not constructed to actually confirm to the standards required when originally constructed, I don't think is legal.

It means that anyone can indicate that a piece of glass is correct, when it could be a piece of non-safety glass.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

KD

Bariman
Call me @ 602 697-5740 and I'll give you all the info on where and how
I'ts real easy to do
Ken D CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

Quentin Hall

Perhaps I am a little jaded by the imposition of "law" in my life presently. I have struck the problems of "law" and glass in my Cadillac twice. First when I bought my 57 Sedan de Ville and tried to register it with a tinted screen. Tinted screens were deemed illegal in Queensland. Despite the Governor Generals Rolls having one.
          No one would sign off on it for roadworthy. Ridiculous. I had to go to a regional area for a roadworthy certificate to slip under the radar.
When I restored my 59 Biarritz I replicated the original spec 6.38 mm laminated glass in green tint. None of the glass companies would do  auto glass without putting a Australian safety glass logo on it which is about as ugly as a man in a bikini. In the end I said the glass was for a fancy coffee table so they would cut it to shape without the logo. I had thin brass sheet engraved to the original LOF logo and date codes and walnut blasted the logo onto the glass to look original.
Nowadays the best bet would be a vinyl computer cut stencil. Most sign shops could do it I would think.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

KD

Bariman,
You can do the logo's on or off the car
Ken D CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I remember reading many years ago that these glass markings were originally media
blasted (fine abrasive compound) over a stencil.

How they are done commercially today I do not know but this, as already mentioned,
can also be done chemically.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region