News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

GN - first time attendee - what to bring?

Started by chrisntam, August 13, 2017, 10:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Planning on attending the '18 GN, been browsing through the pics, (thank you for taking and posting them!) I see people in suits at the awards banquet, I see EZ up pop up tents, I see chairs, coolers, car covers and all the cars are clean.

So other than bringing all the extra parts for your car (which guarantees that it won't break down), what items are essential to bring, what items are desirable?

How are the cars so clean - assuming they were driven from out of state? Is there an on site car washer thingy?  People use a spray bottle and a soft cloth?

Can you come and go from the parking lot (I'd be driving my '70) to get supplies and whatnots?

Suit/tie required/highly recommend to attend the banquet?  I'd be more comfortable in something other than a tie.

So what should attendees bring? 

I know Cadillac trunks are large, but it seems like you'd need a trailer to carry all the things I see in the parking lot along with car parts and luggage.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jay Friedman

Bring extra parts and tools, too. 

The cars are so clean for 2 reasons: a. some are towed on trailers and never get dirty; b. Those driven are clean either because they are from the nearby area or are washed and/or polished on site.  This year there was a car detailing company washing cars by appointment for $45, and they were busy all week.  At other GNs there were hoses and buckets available behind the host hotel.

You can come and go from the parking lot every day except after the judging begins on Saturday.  Even on Sat. you can leave with the Chief Judge's permission.  I used my '49 to go to a nearby diner for most meals, even early Sat. morning.

A suit and tie are not required for the banquet, though a number of people, particularly those speaking at the podium, do wear them.

I didn't see trailers except for those carrying cars.  All my stuff, stuff for a friend driving with me and some stuff for friends coming by air fit in my '49, though I did fill the back seat area.  A large 1970's trunk should be enough for everything you might need.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Walter Youshock

Make sure your car is as clean as possible before you go, especially if you plan to have it judged.  A clean car is easier to clean than a dirty one...

Take a jacket, at least one tie, a pair of dress pants and 2 good shirts just in case.  The rest is generally casual.  ALWAYS travel with tools and some cleaning supplies like rags and quick detailer.  NEVER leave home without a fire extinguisher. 

Expect to spend time in lobby bars.  Usually the GN watering hole where you'll meet everyone.  Makes no difference if you drink or not...  it's where the buses meet for off- campus events and you eventually run into everyone.  Take a list of the people you most want to see and seek them out.  DO NOT miss the welcome reception on Wednesday night nor the awards banquet on Saturday.  These are the bookend events of the week.

Have fun.  Get involved if you like.  Judging is a good way to get into the whole experience if you have good knowledge of a class (unless you have a car being judged in the class).

I've been to about 10 nationals.  The most enjoyable to me have been the ones I've really been a part of--like judging, attending the board meeting or getting involved some other way.

Always have fun and respect every car for its part in Cadillac  history and every member for their contribution of taking care of that car, even if it may not be your personal favorite.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

76eldo

My car stayed pretty clean the whole week.
Our car was nice and clean when we left home. Our ride was about 3 hours.
We got rain one night and I wiped the car down in the morning.
I used a duster brush and Maguires Detailer spray an a microfiber.

There is a washing station at every national. I always bring a bucket and sponge and car wash concentrate. Waxes and towels and the all important Wwslwys Bleech White.

I got by without needing to hose down the car.

As far as clothing the previous post covered that quite well.

Book early and register early to avoid getting shut out on any activities you may want to do.

Hope you have a great time.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

35-709

76 Eldo posted as I was typing this, but here is my take anyway ----

Best not to overthink/over worry this.  We came from Florida to the Washington GN in Big Red (our '35 - no trunk) with everything we needed in the back seat area.  We have gone on trips that lasted 2 weeks with the car with everything we needed in the back seat area --- yes, it is a large back seat area.  We have driven Big Red to 4 GNs now with all we ever needed and then some in the car.  All of the GNs we have attended had a place to wash your car.  Cleaning up Big Red this year was easy, we left spotlessly clean, hit no rain, and arrived clean with just a good dusting and wipe down when we arrived --- Big Red took a second in class M-2.  If you go through rain on your way, you will probably want to wash your car when you get there --- as Walter Youshock pointed out, the cleaner you start out, the easier to clean up when you arrive.

In the 7 years that Big Red has been on the road I have always carried my tool kit in a small tool bag from Harbor Freight, I have never carried any spare parts --- yes, I DO have ''towing insurance" with Hagerty, but so far (26,000 miles) have never had to use it.  ;D  I figure most anything that fails while on the road is going to require a tow-in anyway, not too many things I want to stand beside a busy road and fix/replace other than maybe a flat tire. 

Dress for the Saturday evening awards banquet this year in McLean was "business casual" (ties not required) as per an email from Ronnie Hux to registered attendees.  The awards banquet used to be more formal, which I miss, I wore a sport coat and tie this year and expect I will always do so for future events that I may attend.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

I must add that there are many older cars that I would indeed want to carry spare parts for that are not easy to find on the spur of the moment these days.  Big Red is fairly new underneath his beautiful sheet metal and parts are still usually readily available for his 472 and other components such as the alternator, disc brakes, etc., etc.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jay Friedman

On the other hand, I drive my '49 to GNs without making a great clean up effort at home, since no matter how much I clean it, lots of bugs commit suicide on it or rain dirties it up as I travel to the GN.  I therefore find it easier to either clean it myself at the host hotel or take to a nearby car wash or detail shop.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."