News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

White cloth tops?

Started by eldoroom, August 15, 2017, 01:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldoroom

Hi folks,
First post on this forum.  I've got a 76 Eldorado Convertible that I'll be going through.  It needs a new top and since its white with a red interior, I think the only choice is a white top.  There are plenty of vinyl ones out there, but I really like the upscale look and feel of of cloth.  Only problem is they don't seem to exist.  I assume no one wants them since they're probably near impossible to keep clean? The PO included a blue cloth top (not installed), which almost works, but I don't like the idea of 3 colors aside from the Red, White, and Blue color scheme. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Matt

James Landi

I had a dark Navy BLue top put on my 1990 pearl white Allante... it looked  terrific... there are a number of canvas Navy blue tops on white Cadillacs... they are, in judgment, striking. 

V63

There is a shop that has the patterns in Phoenix, yes white cloth is available. You could even trim or stitch it with color. My guess is custom cloth top will cost $1,000

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I'd stay away from a white cloth top. It will show everything, be very difficult to keep clean and probably not age well either.

If stuck on cloth, I'd go with black. Black cloth top looks rich and the whole car will stand out against all the 3x white and 2x white '76 Eldos out there!  I don't think a dk blue top would look good either.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

dochawk

Quote from: V63 on August 27, 2017, 11:01:14 PM
There is a shop that has the patterns in Phoenix, yes white cloth is available. You could even trim or stitch it with color. My guess is custom cloth top will cost $1,000

Unless it's because it's cloth, it shouldn't need to be custom, nor close to that much.

There are still so many 71-76 on the road, that some places actually stock the roofs!

A quick google will find several vendors.  One claims to do it in the original material for $119
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

D.Yaros

1.  I agree wholeheartedly that a cloth top adds so much to car appearance over vinyl.  (I have a gray cloth top on my black 1962 Oldsmobile.

2.  I  agree wholeheartedly that installing a white cloth top is asking for a whole lot of work to try and keep it clean.  And -TRY- is the operative word here.

3.  I do not have to agree, as I know from experience, that the cost of purchasing and installing a quality cloth top is very expensive!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

threadman

The white they make is more of a tan color,it gets dirty very easy,they look nice but....

D.Smith

White car, red interior and black top is a classic Cadillac color combination, although seen more on hardtops. 

I'd avoid a white cloth top.  It will never look clean.     Another thought is selling the blue top he gave you and get a dark red cloth top to match the interior.

59-in-pieces

Matt,
There is another aspect of selecting a convertible top fabric and/or color, and that is how the top wears over time, with putting it up and down.
Those who have owned a classic convertible know that there is a ritual with operating a convertible top, which requires care and caution - wrinkles in the fabric, cracking plastic or broken glass - if not folded oh just right.
Then there is the dust and dirt that accumulates in the folds which make those zebra stripes which are tougher to clean than the open field of the rest of the top fabric.
There will be those times when you may be caught in the rain - top up for sure - where further more dissolved "dirts" are sitting on the fabric soaking in - always leave the top up after a rain and never put it down, as the top as it dries will leave no place for the contaminants to go but the creases and the cloth pores - and the top will shrink as it dries (closing the pores trapping the dirt), making it tougher to put the top up for a tight fit.
Now to the boot, be it a hard shell Parade Boot (matches the body color) or cloth or vinyl - which are mostly in vinyl (in the color of the top)- can't say I've ever seen a cloth cover (not vinyl) matching the top fabric, but others with more experience than me can speak to this.
I must sound pretty negative on convertibles, and that is far from my intent - as all my classic cars are convertibles, save one.
Convertibles are the best - and you don't want to leave the top up all the time in the garage, or just go by a coupe.
IMHO, If cloth will only do (and I agree the old canvas look is best, though impractical), avoid white, and go for a dark color, as suggested: Red, Black, Blue.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher