News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Mechanical Brake issue on the front brakes of my 1927 Lasalle

Started by Bill Bickle 15098, August 16, 2017, 09:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bickle 15098

I need some information on the operation of the front brakes of my 1927 LaSalle.

A combination steering- brake issue is occurring.  When pressing on the brake, then turning the wheel, the brake pedal is being forced up against my foot and down when I return the wheels to the forward position.  Without pressing the brake pedal I turn the wheels and, when turning to the right, t he right wheel locks up--to the left, the left wheel locks up. The brake pedal. during this last exercise, is firmly in the top position.

You can call collect at 905-646-7538 or email me at wbickle@cogeco.ca

I am preparing for the Fall Festival and need to resolve this problem. Your help would be appreciated.
1927 (7400) and 1940 (5267) LaSalles; 1949 Cadillac 6107

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy, you have something binding there, or something terribly worn.

There is a correlation between the brake actuator arm, king pin, suspension bushings and steering, as everything relies on each other to be in good condition and alignment.   The bracket on the chassis holding the end of the brake actuator arm needs to be slid as well.

From what you are describing, sounds like something is amiss, and is the brake attachment from the pedal to the wheels completely free from being acted on by the steering?

Mechanical brakes do not like misalignment in any way.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   You haven't picked up some object from the road that has become lodged under the car, causing this?
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Bickle 15098

Hi Bruce;

There appears to be no interference between brake and steering.  This has been up on blocks for 5 years.  Before being put up on blocks  it worked fine.  Some time during the five years this problem. I used to show people the advanced engineering of the brake releasing the outer wheel when braking and turning at the same time.  i guess I did it one time too often!

1927 (7400) and 1940 (5267) LaSalles; 1949 Cadillac 6107