News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Curious 77 Eldo youtube video

Started by TJ Hopland, August 22, 2017, 05:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Just stumbled across this video.   Not sure what to think of it.  It seems overall he liked it but he sure got a lot of details wrong.   For a guy that is apparently been doing car videos for several years I'm amazed at how many things he had completely wrong.   I know this car was before his time but research anyone?   He obviously has a computer.  Many of the things he seems to attribute to that model were pretty old news by 77 and several things he mentions were common to most American cars of the era. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHfrc60k8M

The first thing I think he got wrong is in the title.   Wasn't the base Seville price a couple thousand more?   No sunroof or astro roof so I don't think just a Biarritz package gets you there.     If you went for EFI and an astro roof it does look like you could get higher than a Seville since there were not a ton of options for the Seville. 

He also mentions it was a rental car,  looked it up and that rents for $100 per day and is a 'level 1' car.    Their 'level 2' offerings include a 66 Corvair that goes for $150 per day.    Level 4 has a 67 Deville convert for $250 per day.    level 6 has a Ferrari F430 Spider with no price, just says 'member exclusive'.     Seems like reasonable prices if I had the time I may be tempted to try out a few since they are local to me.   Never hard of the service before I found the video.    Like most big cities Morrie's owns several brands and levels of dealerships including what used to be Andersen Cadillac.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

You'd be surprised at how poorly equipped a Seville could have been in the 1970s. I can't comment on which model would've rang in higher when maximally equipped but either would be far less than a Fleetwood Formal Limousine with all the boxes checked.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

I didn't even think of the Fleetwood,   $18-19 base for one of those?      Base Seville looks about $13.5.     Base Eldo $11.2.    Eldo has a lot of options but I don't think you could get it up to $18.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Big Apple Caddy

I don't think 1977 Sevilles or Eldorados could get above $17K with all factory options.  A couple of new high dollar options were added to Seville for 1978 like Elegante trim and trip computer.  Diesel was also new for 1978 but because Seville already had the pricier EFI engine as standard, the extra cost for the diesel engine wasn't as much as it was with other models.

TJ Hopland

So what did you think of the video?  Or no one watch it?   He did seem to overall like the car which I guess was good.    Is it just for most people his age the 70's is just so far removed that they have a totally different perspective?

I suppose for me that didn't happen because that era for me would have been the 50's cars which always seemed to be popular so they were always around.    In 77 the 57's were 20 year old cars and you saw some as daily drivers and lots of them at car shows.  67's in 77 were popular because you had the Pony and Muscle cars.    You bump up to say 87 you still had a ton of popularity in the 57's and 67's but other than a few 10 year old daily drivers no one was interested in driving a 77 anything.    Pretty much the same if you jump to 97 which was around when I bought my 73, 57 and 67 still popular but no one cared about 77's or 87's.    I would say it wasn't till maybe 07 that there was a decent amount of interest in 77's.   I'm not talking Cadillac specifically here just cars in the USA in general.

Were the 40's cars kinda the same way?   Not a lot of interest in them till 30+ years?     It seems like the 40's were overall less exciting cars then the decades on either side of em plus WW2 in the middle didn't help.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

James Landi

Oh yes... he was almost entirely "winging" it--- so not much research and a lot of "seat of the pants" information and and contradictory first impressions.  And as mentioned, was he loving the car, or hating the car... how about just presenting the car, my friend, and attempting to contextualize it--- place it in its proper time frame --- which, curiously he finally gets to that point when he has the car on the highway.  So, in the final analysis, " I'd love to own one of these, and drive it a couple of times a year..."  Having a young car enthusiast make that personal admission relating to the powerful draw and attraction of a top of the line GM product is affirmation and validation of the vehicle.   

I suppose the fact that this younger person even went through the trouble of creating the video in the first place suggests a degree of fascination which I believe is a positive thing.

It seems his feelings toward the car may be in conflict with being programmed that he should dislike the car from various quarters, in a thousand different ways - but this is just conjecture on my part.

Clearly, he has the potential of being a '70s car (or Cadillac) collector sometime in the future.

wrench

Never heard of the guy before. Not sure i would seek out his reviews in the future either.

I don't know his background, I spent 2 minutes on google trying to find his bona fides.

Besides his annoying voice and personality, I don't like the way he manages his review.

One thing was he took points off the 'luxury' category for visibility. Didnt know visibility was a luxury.

His 'Features' category as he describes it, uses 'modern standards'...soo how is any older vehicle going to compete with modern standards?

I just think he is a shameless self promoter.

Thanks for sharing...
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX