News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1971 and 1972 Eldorado Convertible Rear Speakers question

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), August 24, 2017, 08:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

I have commenced the total replacement of the top, rear window, top boot and the Rain Gutter on a '71 Eldorado Convertible, and following the Fisher Service Manual for 1972, I have come across a problem that I would like clarified.

With regard to the rear speakers, are the speaker covers supposed to be over the top of the boot, that is with holes cut into the boot so accommodate the transfer of the sound into the boot compartment, or does the sound go directly into the trunk?

The reason I ask this is when following the instructions, it states that the Control Link is to be unclipped from the rear window glass, and fed through the boot, and allowed to lay on the floor of the trunk.

Now, this process is impossible with the speaker covers secured to the speakers, as there is insufficient free material to allow this process to happen.

I have always found when following the Shop Manual, they mention every possible step necessary, and not to mention this major operation, makes me wonder if someone has placed the covers in the wrong place.

Plus, as an aside, allowing the speakers access to the boot, with the possibility of someone lowering a top in a damp condition, would allow the speaker cones to absorb moisture.

Thoughts?

Hopefully whilst I am sleeping, I might get the correct answer so I can continue on tomorrow.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

My knowledge is based on the 76 but should be the same.

There are metal speaker grilles with studs and the speakers are mounted on the rear seat bulkhead with holes cut in the fabric of the well liner so that the sound passes through.  There must be an opening or you will not hear the sound very well if the fabric is blocking it.

Does the 71-72 have the speakers mounted differently?  I know my 70 had them mounted differently.

You should not lower the top when it is wet.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks Brian,

I don't think the sound is very good coming from the rear speakers, especially when the top is down, and the Parade Boots are in place, as the sound is totally boxed in, whereas if the sound was directed into the trunk, at least it would be heard.

I know that the top shouldn't be put down wet, but someone somewhere must have done it at some time.

The '71 and '72 speakers mount in from behind the seat back, facing rearwards, and is the same for my '72 as well as this '71.   For sound quality, it is a poor way of placing them, but not much else can be done with a convertible.

But, what got me was that there is no mention of this in the Shop Manual, as it is impossible to do what the manual describes without removing them.

There is no mention of having to remove the rear seats to perform the top replacement.

The other matter is it only mentions the removal of two bolts each side to remove the trim stick, but there is actually a third pair of bolts that have to be removed.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Phil Weber

Found this image on the internet . Don't know if this answers your question.

Phil

The Tassie Devil(le)

That is correct, but I am referring to the other side where the speaker covers are.

Looking at the shop Manual, it says for rear speaker removal for Convertible:
(1)   Remove top well upper trim.
(2)   Remove 4 Phillips head attaching screws and remove grille.
(3)   Peel back top well canvas.
(4)   Remove 4 speaker enclosure mounting screws and screw securing ground wire.
(5)   Disconnect Speaker lead...........
(6)   Remove Speaker assembly.

Okay, reading this, the speaker sends its sound through the canvas via a hole, with the cover securing the cover to the speaker.

Every time I have had to remove a rear speaker, I have had to remove the back seat, and bring the speaker through the hole, towards the front of the car.     I cannot see how a speaker can be removed out the back, but then, all the speakers I have seen have been aftermarket ones.

Anyone have a picture of an original speaker, and how it is mounted?

The first picture is of the one in my '72 Eldo.

The second one is of the speakers in the '71.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TJ Hopland

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

V63

I'm not sure if I understand your issue?

I installed a top on a 76 some 18 months ago. I think what is referred to 'control link' is the spring loaded 'kick stand' for the rear window? There are L brackets I had to pop rivit to the new rear window assembly. The spring loaded control link attached to that. Clevis/Cotter pins if I remember? It had a separate hole in the well for them.

I do not know if your concern is an added hole in the well? The well is not water tight, and should not see much, if any water with proper top installation. I think by 1970's it's more of a 'visual' curtain to finish the job.

The well is cut out for each speaker cone for sound, and the grill installed over speaker perimeter through well material.

Whereby well is Held to speaker perimeter by the grill.

The well is kinda baggy and not drawn tight to allow for rear window movement via control link.

The speaker image provided by Phil shows OEM speakers. I do know the whole interior was out of the job I did. It certainly appears that the seat needs to be removed to replace speakers?

Also: I do not have the fisher manual in hand, but concerning speaker removal...sometimes they might mention removal of the back seat earlier in the section...so when you read later about the speaker removal...it's 'assumed' the seat is already out.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Reading the Manual, it appears that the speaker is inserted into the rear panel from the rear side, and then the bag material is placed with the cover holding the bag to the speaker.   There is no mention of having to remove the rear seat to access the speaker.

My concern is that the instructions regarding removing the control arm is that the arm is to be unpinned, and the end of the arm fed through the bag hole.

Well, with the Speaker cover in place, it is impossible to perform this function as the hole cannot be moved sufficiently rearward enough to allow the arm through it.

I have always found that the Factory Service Manuals cover everything needed to perform a function, and this time, I found it lacking, and awkward as I had to change tack.

As for the rear speaker, it is virtually useless as a sound system when the roof is down, and the soft / hard boots in place, as the sound is totally muffled.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

V63

I installed a new well, so I started with the control link first...then speaker fitting. I wouldn't stress about mention in the manual, so long as end justifies the means.

Yes, are right about rear speaker sound with top down.

Interesting in 1968-70 ...that had rear seat chrome center speaker grill? It's dummy with the stereo option. The dual rear speakers are in the well with stereo option.