News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Seville Tires

Started by joeinbcs, August 27, 2017, 12:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

Howdy all,
I bought some American Classic radials, 1.3" white wall, 215/75r15's a couple months ago.
At first they were acceptable, but the more I looked at them, the less I liked them.  There is way too much black between the rim edge and the beginning of the whitewall.  After doing some more research, I realized that the Coker tires have a much too wide black area between the rim and the white wall.
As I found a set of very nice OEM wire wheels for the car, I decided to get some tires that look more like they should...but, its has been pretty difficult to find.
I have a couple of questions: 
1. is Diamondback the only show in town?  I like DB, and have used them in the past, but I just wonder if there's anything else on the market?
2.  The size most people (including the judging manual) say is the correct replacement for the original GR 78 15 is 215/75r15.  However, on the Diamondback conversion chart, it appears this tire is two tenths of an inch shorter, and the 225/75r15 is two tenths of an inch taller than the 215.  I wonder why the manual has specified the smaller tire?  Has anyone put 225's on their first gen Seville?  I don't want the car to look non-stock and wouldn't want to put tires on that were obviously incorrect, but the the 215's I have on the car look slightly short to my eye...If you've been there, I'd like to hear...thanks, Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I'm afraid what you've got is about as close as it gets for Cadillacs of this generation and that includes 215 size. 225 not right on a Seville of this gen.

There is another WW tire with a narrower black band but the WW seems to yellow on that model. I do not recall the manufacturer - it was not DB however.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

smokuspollutus

I know "Suretrac" makes a 215/75r15 1.3 inch whitewall. I have seen them new and they look nice, not sure how they last though. A Chinese tire, so that might answer that.

IMO you shouldn't go any bigger than the 215. The Seville already has a wide track stance and it doesn't take too much to make it look like its rolling on 4 balloons. The big RWD have this problem when people for some reason put 235s on them.

joeinbcs

Thanks.  A buddy of mine bought Suretrack's and had to return them...the white walls turned brown in no time...
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Here is 235 on a '77 CdV which is a bigger body than Seville. Looks terrible to my eyes.

Now, 225 was the correct for Fleetwood Brougham 77-79 - still looks fine.

My '77 with 215:

The WW looks perfectly at home, IMO, and equally appropriate on the Seville.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

joeinbcs

I give up! 
Bought Diamondbacks.  They're almost twice the price of the Coker (AKA American Classics), but I just can't abide the large black space between the wheel and the white.  I wonder why they don't just make them correctly???
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

D.Smith

Diamondbacks are pricey, but they will make you any size white wall width you want and how far from the edge as long as you give them the dimensions.    I gave them exact measurements from the original spare tire in my 1968 Eldorado and they did a perfect job reproducing them.    I was lucky that Universal Tire sells the correct 2.25 inch wide white for my 1961 Sedan deVille.    I tried Coker years ago and bought a set of dual stripes for my 1974 Calais sedan.   All four were out of round and they did refund my money, but at my expenses for labor and shipping.  Never again.