News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

49 331 Starting Issue

Started by IndyCaddy4975, August 27, 2017, 06:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyCaddy4975

Last fall, I inherited at '49 Series 75 with the original 331 engine (79k). The car is in nearly original condition. I took it over to my mechanic who went through it and got her running well with a plan on what to address short and long term. I would have the occasional issue of it cranking with no attempts at running. I could go out one day and it would start right up and run great, then next day, cranking but no fire. :(  I recently set out to tune up the engine.  I have replaced all the plugs, wires, points and rotor and had the carb rebuilt. When I went to start it to time it, I still have the same issue, only now it just cranks, with no attempt to try to run at all. The carb is getting gas and i have plenty of spark at the plugs from the distributor. I set everything per manual specs. I need some help from you all on what I can investigate next to get her going again! Maybe a fuel issue?  Any suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks!  :)

Bobby B

Just starting with the basics....If you say you have spark, I guess you have power, the coil is good, and you have the points set correctly or close. Are you 100% sure that the wires and/or firing order is correct?  Did you mess with the distributor/ timing at all? Plugs gapped correctly? I have gotten bad plugs in the box, but even with a bad plug or two it will run. Next in line is your fuel source. One thing to keep in mind when you have a problem like yours is to just do one thing at a time to see if it makes a difference. Even if you get it fixed, you'll never know who the real culprit was by changing a lot of parts at once. Keep us posted........
                                                                                                                                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Has it run since the tune up? Once it starts/started, did it run ok or has it ever died on you?
How do you know you have spark. How did you test it? What color was the spark?
One thing Bobby pointed out is very true. Just because a part is new doesn't mean it is any good. 
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Steve Passmore

If you have messed with the timing, make sure you haven't made the classic mistake that Bobby mentioned and timed number one cylinder when it was on the wrong stroke!  Each cylinder will reach top dead center twice on the timing mark but only one of them is compression.  You must get this right. also check your points again as these can close up just by tightening the screws in the plate without you realizing.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Glen

Probably totally unrelated but…. My mother sometimes had problems with her 46 Caddy not starting.  One day while she cranked and cranked the engine a man stopped to see if he could help.  He told her to turn the key the other way.  She did and the car started right up. 
On her car the key could be turned to the left or right.  One way was accessory only.  But the engine could be cranked anytime by just pushing the starter button.  I don’t know what year the starter button was removed and the function added to the key switch. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Glen on August 28, 2017, 03:31:57 AM
Probably totally unrelated but…. My mother sometimes had problems with her 46 Caddy not starting.  One day while she cranked and cranked the engine a man stopped to see if he could help.  He told her to turn the key the other way.  She did and the car started right up. 
On her car the key could be turned to the left or right.  One way was accessory only.  But the engine could be cranked anytime by just pushing the starter button.  I don’t know what year the starter button was removed and the function added to the key switch.

The year was 1953  ;)
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Caddy Wizard

If you seem to have fuel and spark, but it won't start, check the choke.  Adjust the choke to be nearly closed (about 1/16 open) and try it again.  When the engine is cold, it needs a much richer mixture to start.  Without that, no go. 
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

IndyCaddy4975

Thanks all for the advice. I have done some more homework and gone back through things and think I simply have a timing issue. I will let you all know how that goes, but I'm pretty sure that's it!  Will keep you posted!

Chris

IndyCaddy4975

Thanks all for the advice!  I went back through and it was simply a timing issue. Got it running just fine. Now onto the brakes!  :)