News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 trunk pull down motor

Started by bostongeorge, August 30, 2017, 10:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bostongeorge

I recently  had a load  of some metal in trunk and the motor arced and i guess grounded. When i pulled cover ground wire was completely frayed. I replaced as much as I could.  If you play with ground sometimes it will activate but not 100%. Im thinking i fried this little motor, does anyone know if i can replace just this part or...... :'(
Charles Letson

bostongeorge

Thats a great find just a little to much for me as a purchase right now. We are in the middle of fixing air cond as well
Charles Letson

bostongeorge

If the Motor is disabled and that should make it all disabled and the button inside the car wont-work is that correct
Charles Letson

Phil Weber

If you disconnect the motor the trunk can only be opened with the key.

Before you disconnect the motor return the unit/striker to the closed position otherwise you won't be able to close the trunk .

Push the centre plunger down with a screwdriver and let the screwdriver contact the striker ( so that it earths ) and the unit should go down to the closed position .

Then disconnect/remove the motor and it should operate like a normal lock.

Phil

bcroe

Quote from: Phil WeberIf you disconnect the motor the trunk can only be opened with the key.
Phil   

My 79 closer is disabled, but it still opens with a key or a trunk release.  Bruce Roe

Phil Weber

Hi Bruce

Do you still have the motor attached ?

On the 76 model the boot opener pushrod is operated by an external cam and lever . The cam is rotated by the motor.

Phil

bostongeorge

Well we played with it for 2 days straight. If we played with the ground "which got frayed" sometimes the motor works sometimes it doesnt. I replaced as much of the wire as i could  and still no luck. I have the trunk opening and osing no problem, im curious about the button in glove box now, shouldnt i hear a click or something even tho it isnt working?  You think i could resodder the ground with a better wire? 

I get it the striker touches the trunk lid and makes the motor work, i even got in the trunk and made sure it was touching correctly, scratching my head over here.
Charles Letson

Phil Weber

The switch doesn't click . If your checking the wiring the orange and black is the power side and the red goes to the lock.

In my car the switch only works when the ignition is on .

Phil

bcroe

Quote from: Phil WeberHi Bruce          Do you still have the motor attached?

On the 76 model the boot opener pushrod is operated by an external cam and lever.
The cam is rotated by the motor.        Phil   

I have the whole system; maybe the relay is sitting on my shelf.  I'd be happy to
send it to someone who could use it, but perhaps a 79 doesn't fit a 76, and I don't
know how it broke.  Bruce Roe

bostongeorge

do you have a picture of the motor bruce?  my switch worked with car off all the time, so i cant get it to click or cant hear anything when im in the trunk and freind pushes button,  not sure if replacing that motor will fix that issue or if in fact i have 2 seperate issues
Charles Letson

bcroe

Quote from: bostongeorgeDo you have a picture of the motor Bruce?  My switch worked with car off all the time, so I cant get it to click or cant hear anything when Im in the trunk and freind pushes button,  not sure if replacing that motor will fix that issue or if in fact I have 2 seperate issues   

I will need to move things and take a picture, along with the relay.  Bruce

V63

1974-1976 closers (trash compactors😂) are completely different from 1977 and up. (Except eldorado/Seville)

bcroe

Quote from: V631974-1976 closers (trash compactors😂) are completely
different from 1977 and up. (Except eldorado/Seville)

Mine is a 79 Eldo.  Bruce Roe