News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1980 Cadillac Seville

Started by camelot, September 04, 2017, 11:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camelot

Were these the cars with the cylinder o-ring issues? A friend of my wife asked her the other day if I might be interested in her late husbands Cadillac Seville. Its a 1980 and I  will be going to see it soon. Its been sitting for a few years I guess, so will need work to get it started I suppose. But my question is, was this the car that had the issue with the cylinder sleeve o-rings that leaked into the oil? Also what other issues did this car have that I should look for. First year for front wheel drive I'm told. Thanks in advance.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

Dave Shepherd

No issues with that engine, all steel 368, you must be referring to 82 4100.

camelot

Thanks . I'm not too familiar with the newer cars.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

smokuspollutus

Rear brakes not working, way to test is to hold the parking brake down with the car in gear and running and try to lightly accelerate, the car should squat and not creep. This braking system requires you use the parking brake every time you park to adjust for pad wear, otherwise the caliper seizes off and neither the parking or rear service brake will work.

Does this car have a fuel computer in the middle of the dash? Gas engine I assume?

V63

YES! If it was manufactured for Calfornia it would have the Bosch port injected 350 (olds). And the 'O' ring seals mentioned? But they would leak/spray fuel on top of the engine...high fire risk at failure.

The 368 was throttle body FI, not legal for manufacturer distribution in California.

Check the engine label under hood.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I think OP is referring to engine rings.  Even in the HT4100, these were not known to fail.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

That was the first year for the 'bustle-back' body. 

The diesel engine was standard equipment, VIN N
Optional DEFI 6.0,  VIN 9
California 5.7 EFI,  VIN 8
And mid year 4.1 V6 4bbl, VIN 4         
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

camelot

I was referring to the engine that had the cylinder sleeves with the O-rings that leaked coolant into engine oil. Someone in work had one that did it but not sure what year it was. Will be seeing car soon. I know she wants to sell it. Condition unknown as of now. Definitely a garaged car all of its life.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

TJ Hopland

In that era the only engine with sleeves would have been the 4100 which came out in 82.   I had heard of that problem but it sure was not at the top of the list of problems that engine had.  By the time the the liners slipped the head gasket was long gone as well as the bearings.  Sleeved engines are very common in the industrial world.  In industrial engines its usually done for ease of service.   A major rebuild can be done in the field literally. 

None of the 80's engine options have that issue but each has areas of concern especially at this age. 

The diesel had its own issues and a reputation at least as bad as the 4100.   I actually like them and have been semi daily driving one for the last 5 or so years.  If it turns out to be a diesel and that alone doesn't scare you let me know and I can give you some tips.

The 5.7/350 Oldsmobile was the engine from the original Seville.  It was also used on the 79 Eldorado.  For 80 was the California Emissions option.  Its a good base engine but the issue is the Bendix fuel injection.  It was decent but not well understood in its day and today even more difficult to find parts and people with knowledge.   O rings on the fuel rail don't age well and cause fires so if this is the engine that is an area of concern.

The 6.0/368 Cadillac was the downsized 472-500-425 so a solid base engine.  Its main area of concern is the DEFI.   This was the first year for any GM Digital Electronic Fuel Injection and only available on the Eldorado and Seville.  It was basically what became the TBI system that was used on many GM's.   Problem is being the first there are several one or two year only aspects of the system that can be very difficult to find today.

The 4.1/252 Buick V6 became an option mid year and had a 4bbl carb on it.  The 4.1 was based on the 3.8/231 so at its core a very solid engine.  Out of the available options probably the one you would want today because it has the best chance of still being reliable and supported.         

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I've driven my '81 Seville with the V-6 to Fall Festival twice (300 mile round trip) and had no problem with it, and am preparing to drive it again this year. I was going to drive it to the GN in DC but chickened out when the AC got a little antsy 25 miles into the trip, so we went back home and got the modern ATS.

The bustle backs are very comfortable cars and attract a lot of attention, especially any of the ones with the bright and beautiful two tones. Mine is a gold and Firemist Brown.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

smokuspollutus

The cylinder liner seal was never an issue, the same seal and sealing method was used through 1995 with no problems. 99% of the time water in the oil is caused by a failed intake gasket. TJ nailed the unique problems of each engine in this gen. I do disagree with the Buke engine being a good choice given the 3 speed trans used in the earl 80s. A 4100 Fleetwood Brougham with 6 passengers and a weeks worth of luggage will leave it in the dust, but I suppose you aren't in the market for an early 1980s vehicle for the power plant. Good luck!

Barry M Wheeler #2189

A Crosley could leave my V-6 in the dust. When I'm pulling onto a major highway, or even an alley, I make sure that nothing is coming that might run over me. (Dogs, cats, hamsters...) But it does run well.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

James Landi

Alas, the early 80's Cadillacs had just enough power to pull themselves down a flat highway.  Trying to climb a long hill where the speed limit is in the 60 to 70 mph range is a real challenge for the driver and the poor, little overworked engine and cooling system in the front end of these heavy cars.  As mentioned in the last post, one develops a careful driving strategy for merging into traffic, lane changing on turnpikes and climbing hills.  While downshifting from overdrive into third can help a little, dropping down to second is similar to courting engine failure--the engine revs high, with no effective increase in speed.  If you can maintain 55 mph on a long hill in PA, or NY state, you're doing well.  One strategy I regularly used included turning off the a/c/ compressor (pushing the "econ" button) to capture a bit more power on hills-..

TJ Hopland

Quote from: smokuspollutus on September 05, 2017, 05:14:22 PMI do disagree with the Buke engine being a good choice given the 3 speed trans used in the earl 80s.

The overdrive didn't help power wise, only the 368 got the 400 which would have been worse with its 2.48 1.48 first and second.  The diesel, V6, and 4100 got the 200 family of transmissions which all had the same 2.74, 1.57 first and second.  The 325 was the FWD 200.   The 200 4R and 325 4L got the 0.667 OD.

James comment about turning off the AC reminds me of driving our 93 Mustang with the Pinto motor.  If you step down more than about half way the computer shuts down the AC  for you.  I think it does the same thing if you steer real hard.   

smokuspollutus

Yes, it was quite a throwback when I got back in the saddle of an 80s vehicle and took it up the wurtsboro hills- hit the first incline at blinking 85 in the left lane, then work yourself over to the right as speed dropped until you're doing 55 with the 18 wheelers in the grandma lane. Then get back over to the left, pick up speed on the descent to be ready to hit the next hill, rinse, wash, repeat. I have had great success dumping the dual bed bead catalytic converter for a new monolithic unit- believe it or not with the new converter even the small engines will hold whatever speed you hit a hill at, and will accelerate (slowly!) if you want to really push it.

Reason I say the OD cars are quicker is the axle that they were able to use with them.

James Landi

"Smokus"--- my 83 Eldorado that I owned for 23 years, dropped its original catalytic converter and muffler in 2005--- I dutifully picked up the junk, and found to my dismay, that part of the converter-- a mesh-like metal material, was partially blocking the exhaust system--- I picked up some horses with a new system...and did gain some mph on those challenging hills.  Gotta love those beautiful Eldo's in spite of the challenges.  James

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

368 cars can keep up with traffic reasonably well, partly thanks to 3 speed THM. Early OD transmissions were great for economy if roads are reasonably level but came at heavy price to performance. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

camelot

Thanks guys for all your input. It should be enough to make a rational decision about the car. Now all that is necessary is to see the car and its condition.  My 62 with the 3:25 A/C gear ratio has plenty of get up and go for me compared to my 39 limo. I feel I'm moving a building driving that one! Thanks again
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

76eldo

If you don't want it please send me some pics.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

camelot

Still trying to arrange a viewing as of now. I've been down with Flu or some type of crud.  She's checking with family first. (I thought she did already) If I came home with another Cadillac, I'd be sleeping in it for sure! Will keep you guys updated on her desires. A very nice lady from my wife's church.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w