News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968-1973 Cadillac 472 distributor

Started by Scot Minesinger, September 06, 2017, 09:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Probably the 500 cu in engine and other years this question applies to.  Distributor for 1968 Cadillac I'm working on has worn weights issue and car will cut out on low speed like 25 mph - anyway it is the distributor and need to buy another one to replace it and it sometimes backfires.

My question is where is best source for a new distributor - quality rebuild or new for 1968 thru 1973 Cadillac?

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

My first thought would be a call to MTS to see if they have a good used one to sell you.   Many of their cores likely come with points distributors and I doubt many people want them.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

savemy67

Hello Scot,

Can you elaborate on your issue?  I don't think a '68 distributor is much different than a '67 distributor (but let me know if it is).  When you say the you have a "worn weights" issue, do you mean the advance weights' springs are worn?  New springs should cost much less than a new distributor.  When you say the car "will cut out at low speed", does the engine stop running, or does the engine mis-fire?  Does it backfire through the carburetor or the exhaust?  If you suspect the distributor, have you pulled it and examined the shaft and bushings?  Sounds like you may have a timing/advance issue which could be resolved for much less money than the cost of installing a new distributor.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Scot Minesinger

Thanks Geoff, I bought the item you suggested - looked quality.

Chris, The distributor on my red 1970 failed where the holes that anchor the weights egged out.  The car would cut out and restart while driving - annoying and I could never figure it out until after two years of suffering this it failed completely and would not start.  Now this is happening on a 1968 and my other 1970 silver SDV.  So I'm taking care of it now.  It would be a backfire thru exhaust
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
When you get a replacement distributor be sure you have someone who has a distributor machine run it and verify it is set up correctly for your cars.  There is a difference in advance curves as well as total advance.  Also verify the curve of the vacuum advance as correct operation is critical on these motors for fuel economy and temperature control.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-