News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

fall hershey questions

Started by M. Bankes, September 10, 2017, 07:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Bankes

Hi,
I've never been to any of the Hershey / Carlisle parts swap meets, but always wanted to go. I see the fall one is coming up and wondered if those that have been before can offer up some advise. I am mainly only interested in parts, do I have to be there Wed when it opens to get any good deals ? or could I show up Sat morning and still expect to find good deals ?
Thanks, any advise on the shows would be great
Michael

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I haven't been for years, but I think it would depend on how badly you need parts. Usually, with several days of customers coming by, I doubt that too many "deals" are going to be found early. The exception of course are those vendors who like to get their expenses taken care of early. So, it will depend on the vendor. Established sellers "know" that barring rain, that they are going to do well. Smaller vendors with more limited stock might be more willing to deal. And those with scarce or prime items are going to go after top dollar in any case.

Were I you, I'd go simply for the fun of it. I last went when a group of us "chartered" an Aero Commander a couple of years. The first year, they still had the airport and we landed there. The second year we had to land at (I think) Harrisburg and rent a car. We found a space on the hill to park after we moved a picnic bench "just a little" to make room for the car. In any case, good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

If you are serious about finding parts, by all means go Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday,  It will probably take all three days to visit all the vendors.  Of course you have to leave time to eat and also visit the CLC tent.  If you go on Saturday, it will not take long to visit all of the vendors since most will alreadyhave gone home or have shut down in order to attend the car show.

Carl Fielding

What parts for what year(s) are you looking for ?  - Carl

Dan LeBlanc

I've been there a few times, so here's what advice I can offer. . .

As stated before, you will need to be there all three days.  If you walk up and down each aisle, you will have walked 28 miles over the course of three days.  You really don't get a good grasp of how big it really is until you get there.  Be prepared to walk 8 hours a day pretty much non-stop.  If you only show up on Saturday, there are a few vendors there, but as also was previously stated, 98% are pretty much gone.  Of course, out of over 9000 vendor spots, that still leaves quite a few vendors and you could spend a few hours walking the flea market on Saturday and still be able to take in the car show.

As far as my experience with Cadillac parts goes, they're mixed in there, but be prepared to dig for them to find them.  Chev, Ford, and Packard parts are plentiful.  I see more Packard parts at Hershey than there were Packards . . . really, I swear.  Prices tend to be inflated, but most sellers will haggle.  Cash is king.  Make sure you bring some sort of small cart to tote your wares.

Best place to park also is at Chocolate World.  It's pricey, and you can buy a 3 day pass, likely the most expensive parking in the area, but it plunks you smack dab in the middle of the main flea market area.  Plus you can also nip into Chocolate World for a free ride and a piece of chocolate at the end.

I've also shown my car there twice and they have the entry and judging down to a science.  You drive right in, get in a spot, and before you know it, a team of judges swoops in and in 5 minutes, they've looked over the car and they're gone.

It's all very neat, really.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Scot Minesinger

Michael,

Everyone got it right here. 

If I ever need parts it is far easier and more convenient to search on line, call Cadillac King, and etc. rather than spending three days rummaging thru piles of parts in a parking lot.  However, if this is your idea of fun, then by all means enjoy.  If I was going for several days, then you can buy a spot (not now, as it may be too late) in the car coral as if your classic car was for sale.  This will be one of the very best parking spots, and cost is about same as Chocolate World - which I parked before too - price but good.

I usually attend Thursday or Friday for the day only (depending on weather), just cannot get several days off.

See you there,

Scot

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Hansen

First, Fall Carlisle: there are very few pre-war Cadillac parts to be had at Fall Carlisle.  Very much a post-war and muscle car crowd.  There will be a few post-war Cadillac parts vendors there but not nearly as many as one might think.  It should take you a day to traverse the flea-market.

As mentioned, expect Hershey to take you three full days, Wednesday through Friday, to walk the flea market.  Some folks set up on Tuesday, so it doesn't hurt to start shopping then.  Do yourself a favor and purchase the meet program for $5.  It lists all of the vendors by specialty showing their location on the field.  Field maps are also included to help you get around and plan your route.  Make sure you have space on your phone for photos (or bring a camera); you will find many photo worthy scenes in the flea market, car corral, and most importantly, at Saturday's show.  If you are so inclined, make a sign board to wear on your back stating what you are looking for.  Take a list of part numbers, interchange information, and photos of what you are looking for.  It is frustrating to find a part you think is the one you want only to discover when you get home that it isn't!

As Dan mentioned, bring a tote, a backpack, or small cart or wagon to carry things in.  Dress in layers for cool mornings and warm afternoons.  Bring several pairs of comfortable shoes and extra socks.  The entire flea market and car corral is on blacktop; Saturday's show is on grass.  Be prepared for rain with a poncho and an umbrella.  There are food and beverage vendors all over the fields so eating and staying hydrated shouldn't be a problem unless you have dietary restrictions.

The CLC has a hospitality tent in spaces C4P 24 - 26 in the North Chocolate Field.  There will chairs for resting; free sodas, coffee, water, snacks; etc. There is also a bulletin board to place ads for what you are looking for.  When you get tired, stop by!  The tent will be open from 9 AM to 4:30 PM Wednesday through Friday.  All are welcome!  Please note that the CLC tent is not open on Saturday so the volunteers can enjoy the show.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

76eldo

If you are searching for specific parts you should look online and ask if the sellers will be at Hershey and get their space number.
The meet is divided up into different "fields" such as White field, Red field, Chocolate Field, etc and the space numbers are very confusing and hard to navigate in my opinion.

If you are a car guy you need to go to Hershey just to see the scope of how big it is and the car show on Saturday.  Hotel rooms are going to be hard to find at this late date but you can try.  As mentioned you will not see many vendors remaining on Saturday.  Most pack up and leave Friday night and Saturday morning.

If you set up specific items and vendors in advance you could hustle your way through on Friday.

The car corral is also an amazing thing to see.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jay Friedman

Have been to Hershey many times and agree with everything everyone said previously.  Two things I don't think have been mentioned:

1. The AACA, which organizes the event, publishes a directory with maps of the different fields (which are enormous) and a listing of all the vendors.  These are sold at the entrances from the parking lots and elsewhere for $5 or so.  Be sure to buy one, since the vendors are not only indexed in alphabetical order, but by types of stuff they sell.  There is a category for Cadillac parts vendors, so you might want to concentrate on them and save lots of time.  Each dealer's "spot" has an address, for example CJ 67.  Translation: C = Choclalate Field, J = Row J on that field, 67 =  Space number 67 on that row. 

2. The Cadillac and Lasalle Club has a spot on the Chocolate field.  It's a large tent with chairs and snacks (run by Rob Robison), so is a good place to meet fellow CLCers, sit down, have a cool drink and some peanuts.  Also, people post on a bulletin board stuff for sale.

I always bring a rain poncho and a kiddie wagon to carry goodies I've bought, since the distances from parking lots and around the different fields can be measured in miles.

If you are spending the night, I can recommend the Scottish Inn in New Cumberland PA, a 30 minutes ride from the fields.  It's simple, but clean and economical.  Doesn't jack up prices sky high like many motels in the area do for Hershey week.  Also, 3 good diners/restaurants within walking distance.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Chuck Swanson

Have found tons of parts at Hershey, many which I didn't see online, so it's not necessarily an either or scenario. Good to look for larger parts at Hershey (or Carlisle) vs online due to shipping.  I have bought many complete bumper assemblies for example.  Many fenders, rims, etc..  I do have a 40' RV though to take back many parts.  Make sure you bring some cash of course :)  I typically buy large stuff beforehand, and meet vendors down there to pickup, or even sell, tires, moulding, etc...I have around 2 full 40' containers of Caddy parts, and only 20% of the parts in the containers are from online sales.  Most of the smaller stuff and repro stuff I buy online/eBay.
Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T