News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

ac 73 eldo again

Started by kkkaiser, September 19, 2017, 02:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkkaiser

I took the car out in some cooler weather this morning,,, after running a while, go the heat going,, of the people that helped me get the thing running about  month ago,  i had to replace the programmer,, and,, at that time,, everything was doing fine,, heat blew hot, ac blew cold,  today, however, it seems to be blowing but very lightly,, so, back under the dash, turned the thermostat unit,, and the back that goes back and forth, that is attached to the vertical bar in the programmer, moves easily, back and forth with thermostat change,, but it doesnt seem to be grabbing the bar very well,, there is not a corresponding spin of the bar,, it moves some, but not 1 to 1 with the horizontal bar..

i tried to tighten up a bit and its tight as i can get it,,

question is,, should the vertical bar coming out of top of the programmer be turning 1 to 1 with the moving bar its attached to on the top,, ??
if so, should i scuff up the bar for some grip or just find another screw to fit in there and scruff its bottom part up to create some traction on it to turn the bar,??

Thanks in advance

Dan LeBlanc

Are you sure your evaporator isn't frozen?  Compressor is on at all times above an exterior temperature of 32F.  Air from the fan first passes through the evaporator for dehumidification and then through the heater core for heating before being introduced into the cabin.  If the evaporator froze up, you could also experience the lack of air flow described.  Perhaps in the lower ambient temperature, the cooler air coming in isn't warm enough to keep the evaporator above freezing.  Your VIR should be regulating evaporator temperature and pressure to keep it from freezing, cooler air passing through may not be enough to overcome the below freezing surface temperature of the evaporator and allowing it to ice over.

I'm going through this right now with my 70 with a stuck open POA (your POA is in the VIR - mine is external).  When it freezes up, I have very weak air flow despite the fan being on high.

Evaporator outlet pressure checked at 1500rpm could confirm if the outlet pressure is too low causing this.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The answer to your question is yes, there should be no slipping of the arm on the shaft.  The clamp is easily warped, so careful attention to correcting it is possible.
The fact that the blower is "blowing very lightly" would lead me to check the "auto" relay. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

35-709

Not all '73s had VIRs, that was a mid-year production change.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

kkkaiser

i took it back out for a ride after tighnging up the little screw some,, it was pretty tight,,,vertical post seems to turn 1 to 1 with the horizontal bar attached to it..

went for a bout 15 miles, heater came on with a vengeance,  seems to be ok,, either the lightning helped or the engine had a little longer to get warmed up but it DEFINITELY works, it got hot..!!!   

then, when i kicked it over to cooling mode, it moved right over, and air temp shifted to upper vents, and cooled off, so I guess I'm ok,,, just need to let her warm up a bit longer on the cooler days...

out of curiosity,
what turns what?

does the upper horizontal bar turn the vertical bar in the programer, or does the vertical bar turn the horizontal bar,, where does the turning action initiate??

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The "motive power" is in the programmer. The shaft is turned and it moves the bel crank ("upper bar").
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

kkkaiser