News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Testing 1967 dash clock

Started by 67 Cadillac, September 22, 2017, 01:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 Cadillac

Hey,
Could anyone tell me how to test my the clock from my instrument cluster? I have the clock out and would like to put power to it to see if it works.
does it just take 12 volts directly? I don't want to fry the clock if I can help it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

Dan LeBlanc

Yes, 12v directly to the clock with the body of the clock grounded.  Only do this for an instant as if you put power to it for too long, you will ruin the coils if the points are stuck closed.

If no click is heard, you'll need to take the back off, spray everything liberally with Deoxit D5 to clean it up, and then lubricate it all lightly with a synthetic clock oil.

These are electromechanical clocks.  The way they work is there is a set of contact points inside.  They rewind every three minutes or so.  As the clock winds down, the contact points eventually come together creating a short circuit.  The resulting kick back from this winds the clocks and so the cycle repeats.

You could also put a 1 amp inline fuse to the clock to protect the coils just in case - both from the power supply you are using to test it and in the car itself.  These are on the 25a body feed circuit, so if something malfunctions in the clock, the clock is damaged never blowing the fuse.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

James Landi

I would add a bit more pointed description to Dan's narrative... in my experience with, perhaps, a dozen clocks, the electric "points" he mentions, get stuck  together over time and with extended use because the mechanism tends to "short cycle" for lack of lubrication, and eventually the dual electromagnetic coils get super hot, begin to melt, and finally one of the connecting narrow gauge coil wires burns out.  As Dan suggests, if you're fortunate to find one that has not failed for that reason, they can be carefully both back to life, as he suggests.  There is someone who provides and inexpensive solid state device that can "drive" your minute and hour hand in your enclosure.   I can't recall the name and address of the individual and his enterprise.

67_Eldo

I just replaced the dead guts in my original 1967 Eldorado clock with a quartz movement. The conversion kit cost $100.

https://www.opgi.com/cadillac/S003015/

Take your time and be very gentle disassembling the old clock and reassembling the new.

It hasn't lost or gained a second since I put it back in a few weeks ago.

67 Cadillac

Thanks guys for the info. I really appreciate your help.
Cheers
Jeff

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 67_Eldo on September 22, 2017, 07:08:47 PM
I just replaced the dead guts in my original 1967 Eldorado clock with a quartz movement. The conversion kit cost $100.

https://www.opgi.com/cadillac/S003015/

Take your time and be very gentle disassembling the old clock and reassembling the new.

It hasn't lost or gained a second since I put it back in a few weeks ago.

Finally something from OPGI that might actually prove to be useful...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

IcebearLars

Hi guys,

is the dash clock in the 67 and 68 the same?
My 68 clock is not working and I thought about going the OPGI route if the clocks are the same.

Thanks

Lars

67_Eldo

Quote from: IcebearLars on October 01, 2017, 06:50:39 AM
is the dash clock in the 67 and 68 the same?
My 68 clock is not working and I thought about going the OPGI route if the clocks are the same.

The clock *situation* seems to be the same for the 67 and 68 clocks. By that I mean there were two different types of clocks installed in Cadillacs in the 67-68 model years.

One type used the Borg movement that sat in a four-prong sheet-metal housing.

The other type used a Westclox movement that sat in a three-prong housing.

The OPGI kit replaces only the Borg movement (which apparently was the most common). You'll have to check and make sure your clock is a Borg.

Gerald has an excellent clock page on his Cadillac site that explains it all.

http://www.eldorado-seville.com/files/67clockrepair.php

cadillacmike68

^^^ Thanks for that link.

It seems that OPGI now sells the printed circuits as well.

And just to make it clear, 1967 and 1968 used the "same" clock, but there were two different sources they had; Borg & Westclox. The clocks interchange as a replacement, but not internally parts wise except for maybe the minute and hour hands and the little mounting nuts). I have some of each, mostly non-working.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike