News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Oil pickup tube differences from 1968-76

Started by cadillacmike68, September 28, 2017, 05:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

It looks like I will need another oil pickup tube for my 1968 DeVille.  There's a lot of crud in mine (more on that later).

I ordered one from fleabay, and while it lines up ok, that is the the mounting bolt for the main cap and the pickup itself end up in the same place, the tube itself runs along a different path AND the tube end itself is a larger diameter than the original one for my 1968. The vendor said it was from a 1973 DeVille (or maybe 74).

Did Cadillac make a change to a larger oil tube galley somewhere after 1968-69?
Is there an adapter to use the later pickup on a 1968?
Will that tube curving to the left instead of to the right (if you are looking at the engine from the bottom)  get in the way of the crank?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

68-69 was a different block that did use a smaller tube.   I don't remember hearing about any different bends other than for Eldorado which used a completely different oil pan. 

You could try 500cid.com for the correct one.   Many of their customers are looking for the later block and the Eldo style pan/pickup so I would think there is a decent chance they would have a 68-69 RWD one.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

All those little engineering changes arrrggghhh!!!

This one I got does bend the other way, but the bracket and round pickup end up in the exact same place.. It woll probably even clear the counterweights. But the tube is too large, and I don't thine pressing it down to 5/8 from the 3/4 size will work too well.  I can still try to get mine clean. It's hard to see but maybe soaking it in CLR will help.

I called 500cid and asked them to call me back.  Maybe they can help, but their web site only lists mid sump pickups at present and I need a front sump one.

Another possibility is milling out the oil galley - IF there is enough room to do this so the 3/4 in tube will fit. What do you all say about this option??

I'll post a pic of the two when I get the chance.  This is related to the May problem I had. I finally got it to a shop.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Perhaps I am not understsnding you correctly.
Are you thinking of modifying the block to fit a replaceable part??
What is not cleanable on your old one?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

cadillacmike68

Jeff, its the screen on the existing pickup. I need to be sure that thing is CLEAN. I should be able to get it clean. I have it with me and will try to clean it tonight. I prefer not to mess with the block.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

If you clean your existing pick up, make sure you get it 100% clean.

MTS rebuilt my motor, they assembled it, but left one piece of broken plastic in the oil pickup tube.

It was discovered when I primed the oil pump on the newly rebuilt motor prior to start up.

The little piece got sucked into the oil pump (while being primed) and it stopped the pump.  I had to take the pump out, clean out the little piece and reinstall it.

Didn't hurt anything, except it whizzed me off, given the cost of the motor.  Marty said it is sometimes difficult to fully clean an existing pickup.

Get yours fully cleaned, if you can.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

savemy67

Hello Mike,

Your post mentioned CLR.  Is this the cleaner for (C)alcium, (L)ime, and (R)ust?  If so, I probably would not waste the time or money using this cleaner as it is highly unlikely your pick-up tube and screen were ever in contact with calcium and lime, and being bathed in motor oil, the chances for rust are low.  You may have better luck with a strong petroleum "varnish" solvent like gasoline or Berryman's Carb Dip.  You may also need to devise a method to flood and mechanically scour the inside of the pick-up tube.  A siphon blaster can flood the interior of the tube, and some bottle brushes will conform to the shape of the tube.

So, soak, flood, scour, repeat.  When you are satisfied you have removed all traces of dirt, etc, do a final rinse with acetone, and dry the tube/screen thoroughly with compressed air.  All these chemicals are harsh to a lesser or greater degree.  If you are not familiar with the material safety data sheets (MSDS) for these products, either read and understand the hazards involved, or have the pick-up and screen cleaned by someone that understands the use of these chemicals.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

cadillacmike68

Thanks Chris, I won't waste the expensive CLR then. I'm more concerned with small particles that are stuck on the screen which might work loose in operation. That's what caused the current issue I am confronting.

I need to make sure the screen is clean and I can get the tube with some of my M16 & M14 barrel cleaning rods and jags. I think the 5.56mm chamber brush will be a perfect fit for the pickup tube and I have flexible rods to get it to curve through the tube.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

I got it cleaned up good and it's in the engine. Cadillac Did make an engineering change to enlarge the main oil galled in 1970 & later. I think Cad-Parts sells the tube (for over $100 !!!!!) with an "extra $20" for a 1968-68 adapter modification whatever that is (probably s swagged down tube end). My original should be fine.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike