News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 Cadillac De Ville Purchase? - Advice Needed

Started by Jaxman, September 28, 2017, 11:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxman

Hello, new to the forums here.

First off, I'm totally new to car restorations. I don't know much about classic cars or the ins and outs of what it means to restore upholstery or drivetrains of old cars. I know a fair bit about the mechanics and technology in new cars, and do basic maintenance work on my Buick and Corolla every few months. I have some basic tools at home, but nothing more.

However, I've always been a huge fan of the enterprise of working on, owning, and driving an older American car. Then the other day, I saw this car parked a few miles from where I work. It caught my attention, and I thought if I was looking to get into owning a classic, this might be my in. But my lack of experience and generally cautious attitude has held me back, and I thought I might ask some people who know what they're talking about what they think. So I came here.

I also searched my local craigslist ads and found that it was advertised there as well. Here is the link: https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/d/1962-cadillac-sedan-de-ville/6308509299.html

From one of the pictures, it looks like the odometer says 15,162 miles.

So I ask your help- what are some things to keep in mind? If I want a driveable weekend car, what sort of budget should I keep aside for this project? What about registration and insurance, and other procedural stuff I'll need to take care of? I've never really even bought a car from a person before, usually I go to a used car lot or a dealership. So I really am very new to several aspects of this.

Is this even a good idea, or am I getting in too deep?

Thanks!

Generally, a 5-digit odometer on a 55year old car cannot be trusted. There are other signs that indicate the true mileage, e.g. wear of pedals, seats, originality of the engine bay... More often than not the car has a much higher mileage than indicated by the odometer. Especially at that price I would not expect it to be the true mileage.

This car seems to be a very good start and reasonably priced despite a much higher mileage. Owning a '62 myself I would say the most important part is the condition of the body. If it does have not have rust or bondo it should be a great start into the hobby.

Interior and paint look original to me. If they are this is probably the most desireable color combination of all. Rare and eye-catching. Is this mould on the door panels?

Judging from the miserable pictures the engine bay looks unmolested aside from a wrong radiator cap and the obscure windshield washer fluid bottle.

Since I am German I cannot say much about registration and insurance. But if it has a clear title there should be no problems.

Oregon cars have a good reputation conditionwise. This one could profit a lot from thorough cleaning. I think you could make it a nice and reliable driver for 10 grand if you can avoid a paint job and do work yourself. Of course it is possible to spend much more.

You should check it out for rust and have a look at the body plate on the driver's side of cowl. Take some pictures, you will get good advise here. The price seems very reasonable to me because it runs and drives, has nice colors and is well-optioned. Moreover it is a De Ville. Personally I would consider it a very interesting offer.

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Dan LeBlanc

For $5500 you could do a lot worse. 

One of the things you need to weigh out is what do you expect of the car?  How do you want it to look.  I've noticed a few off things about the car, and if you're looking to improve the car to a certain level where you would like something appropriate for a local show, between what it needs sorted out mechanically and cosmetically, you'll be into it for another $10,000 or so.

That said, you'll be into the car for a good $15,500.  For that price, you can get a good 60's Cadillac 4 door that will be ready to enjoy today.

Just my two cents.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Caddy Wizard

1962 is a good year for Cadillac, in my opinion.  Very smooth operating car with a great ride. 

Car is a sedan, not a Fleetwood sedan.

Interior is rough. 

Some guys like the process of restoring an old car and love every challenge, including doing their own work.  Others want to simply enjoy the use of the car and don't want to be bothered with the repairs.  Ask yourself which type of guy you are.  If you won't enjoy lots of restoration effort, this is not the car for you.

Financially, it ALWAYS makes more sense to spend a lot more buying the car than you think you should.  Get the best possible example of a 1962 Cadillac.  That car will need very little.  You will spend far more fixing up a restoration project than you ever would simply buying a great car to begin with.  For example, if your $5500 CL car gets an interior, that might cost $5-10K.

I would suggest passing on this car and getting a nicer one.  You'll be glad, in the long run.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Scot Minesinger

The best advice I think we can give you is to buy the very nicest classic car you can afford.  Take this car for sale as what sparked your interest, probably do not buy it. 

There are so many things to go wrong that are generally taken for granted with a great classic car.  Such as for example the weather stripping around the windows, doors and trunk.  If they leak, the car smells, the carpets rot, and metal trim inside rusts.  These can cost over $1,000 to properly buy and install (fit properly, reproductions can be poorly-made and not seal well), and then after that you have to fix all the damaged work inside as a result of the leak.  This is just one of scores of things that are not noticed at initial inspection, but discovered after a few weeks of ownership. 

Storage, make sure you have a garage to park it.  Outside is NO good.  You can take a 20k nice original older classic car and turn it into a 5k car with one year of outdoor storage.  After 40 -60 years, these classics do not hold up well outside like modern cars do.

All that said, I really enjoy the hobby and hope you buy and drive a great classic!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

My advice is to find a much better car and you'll be infinitely ahead of the game. $10,000 spent on this car will not begin to scratch the surface of what can be seen, let alone what cannot. As Scot says, you could be looking at $1K in weatherstripping alone.

A nice presentable '62 Sedan will run a good $10K - $15K; more as you go up the condition ladder.

Run from this money pit and save up for a good one.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

gary griffin

All of the above have given good advice Jack. I have been involved in several restorations. I have a manual from a British car club that says when restoring a car keep a journal of costs but hide it in the garage where your wife can not find it. I am widowed so do not have that concern.

My advice is to list of things the car needs and give each item a cost of materials and labor hours. Total each column then double one and triple the other. No matter which one you double or triple because you can spend more on materials and save labor and vice versa.

If you are going to work on it yourself you will need a garage big enough to have 8 feet of clearance to the parts you will be working on.  If your garage is less than25 or 30 feet deep that car will be hanging out of the door when working in the engine bay for example.

I am near Seattle and since you were looking in Portland Craigslist I am assuming you are in the northwest?

From the little I know about the car I would estimate $20k to $40k  to do good restoration. Evaluate your skills and cash available, and the time you would have to work on it yourself and your skills also. I am fortunate as I have a small shop near me that does a lot of my work as fill in's but it often takes a lot more time than a larger shop would to complete the work but the price of labor is about half what a larger shop would charge for the same work.

Good luck and after you decide add to this post so we will know what you chose to do and if you buy it join your local club and start a restoration blog. I am very near to a 5 year restoration and all of my delays and challenges are in a post for my 1942  6719 restoration.  Look through the post and see some of the challenges and unexpected costs I have had.  I have been near complete for a long time but life gets in the way.

The longer it takes to do the job the less time you have to enjoy the car.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Jaxman ,
     I have to agree with the majority of the forum , Find a car in better condition and spend a little or a lot for the right one . But i have to ask you this . Are you just interested in this car because it was for sale locally ? I hope not . I think one of the most important things you can do is find out what you really want before purchasing a classic car . Don't settle for a car because it is available. Finding out what you want  is really important. Make sure you love the car and have a desire to own a particular car .   I have ran into so many people that have become bored with the car they own only to show up every year with some other project or car they will get tired of in a few years . You are going to spend a lot of money and time .  You will find yourself bonding to the car if it is the right one . Even talking to it when you are alone in the garage . If that 62 is a special car or had sentimental value then go for it and make it a lifetime project .  My advice , first find out something about yourself and what your objective is . When that car needs attention, and it will ,It's a lot easier to spend money on it when you love it .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Young

Too many times someone not used to restoring classic cars or what it takes in time,money and patience see a classic car and due to a lower price buy a car in need of much more than they could possibly be aware. I will give one example. The 1962 Cadillac has an X frame and a two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing in the middle of the X frame. These frequently after over 50 years need to be changed out and are not easy or cheap. Others here have given you excellent advice in purchasing as excellently restored a car as you can afford. Also DO NOT BUY ANY CAR without having a professional classic car appraiser give you a written report on it with excellent photos. This WILL cost you a couple hundred bucks but will be worth it's weight in gold in not buying the wrong car economically. I hope this helps.

russ austin

I say buy what you can afford to drive. the key word is drive, as in be sure the car is roadworthy. Unless you can fix it up yourself.

I find half the enjoyment in fixing up cars, and driving what you fixed the other half. 
R.Austin

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: russ austin on September 29, 2017, 04:51:52 PM
I say buy what you can afford to drive. the key word is drive, as in be sure the car is roadworthy. Unless you can fix it up yourself.

I find half the enjoyment in fixing up cars, and driving what you fixed the other half.

Russ,

I think like you do -- for me, fixing the cars myself is half the fun.  The other half is driving them.  But most folks don't like fixing cars...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)