News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67 DeVille Convertible

Started by Newlife Interior, September 29, 2017, 04:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newlife Interior

Customer brought replacement instrument gauge cluster and upon replacing am having issues.
Temperature and gas gauge are marking hot and full. Any suggestions? Other features are working fine.

cadillactim

If this did not happen with old cluster, make sure new cluster is grounded properly. Take a jumper wire from the metal part of cluster to the body. See if things change. Sometimes a circuit will "find" a path to ground if its normal path is not there. Another circuit could be finding ground through the gauges. Positive voltage is fed to the gauges with key on. The ground path is varied through the temp sensor and the fuel tank sender.

Tim
Tim Groves

Dan LeBlanc

If these have printed circuits on the back of the cluster, you could have a break.

I nudged something loose in my 70 once on the spot where the printed circuit meets the plug.  Couldn't for the life of me figured out why the signal light indicators would come on in the dash and the gas guage would go to empty when I turned the lights on. 

I pulled the cluster and noticed one of the copper conductors where the plug goes in had delaminated and contacted another connector.

Gingerly got it back in place and hooked it all up and has been good for the last 1500 miles.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

cadman56

The gauges look almost the same.  Could they have been reversed?
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

cadillactim

Possible, but don't think it would make both peg to max. If you notice on the back the resister part is horizontal on one and vertical on the other if I remember correctly.

Tim
Tim Groves

cadillacmike68

I think the gauges are the same for 1968 and 68. When someone pulled and replaced the back bumper the fuel gauge pegged full. It was the ground back there. Now since you didn't have anything done to the back, but recently had the cluster replaced, one or more of those printed circuit traces is probably open, or the wires are not connected very good on the gauges themselves. There is probably a common ground on that printed mylar. which would make the gauges peg. And in case you might think the gauges are reversed, temp is on the left and fuel is on the right and they might swing far right with an open.

I'm not sure but I think I have a 1967 printed circuit that I got when I bought an entire cluster (for the trip odo).
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadman56

Cadillac Tim is correct in the resistors being different.  The only way I could tell the correct placement of the gauges is to look at the pictures in the shop manual.  There is a common ground on the mylar. 
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820