News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A6 Compressor Reseal

Started by Dan LeBlanc, September 29, 2017, 12:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

So, my $16.50 eBay A6 compressor (yes, $16.50) is installed and working flawlessly.  I have to open up the system this winter to replace the POA and expansion valve, so I'm going to flush everything and renew hoses and seals, etc, so it is a good time to re-seal the compressor (it's not been done yet - was removed from a totalled car in 1975 and has about 20k miles on it).

Last thing I want is to use the last of my R-12 and have to open the system again (Canada is an R-12 destruction country - reclaimed R12 is sent to be destroyed) because of a seal failure.

Everywhere I talk to wants to only do a full rebuild at a greater cost than a new Pro6Ten compressor.  I can't justify rebuilding a perfectly functioning low mileage original compressor.  Just want a re-seal.  I've watched the videos online and am not comfortable digging into a compressor in that way.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a shop I could send it to and have it resealed.  I've talked to Classic Auto Air and a couple of the other big names and it's all in the same ballpark.  For that money, I'll install a Pro6Ten after I paint it black and install a decal.

For what it's worth, I've been in correspondence with a chap who installed a Pro6Ten in Eastern Tennessee in a 73 Pontiac station wagon two years ago.  I asked him what his thoughts were now that he's lived with the compressor for the last two years.  He's had zero issues.  Zero leakage.  Less engine draw and ample cooling across all engine speeds.  At idle, he his getting 39-41F vent temperatures running R12 and an otherwise stock VIR system with ATC in 90+temps with 85%+ humidity.  Most days he either has to put the system on low or add a little heat to keep warm in the car.

I've researched forum upon forum for long term performance results on this compressor and couldn't find anything until I found this guy's website.

He has a photo of the back of an A6 and Pro6Ten side by side and the ports are in exactly the same place as an A6.  This compressor is not to be confused with the A6 replacement being sold through most parts stores.  The A6 replacement that is sold by Four Seasons has the ports higher on the compressor body and, as mentioned in another thread on this forum, the new port location causes interference with fitting the air cleaner.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Dan,
Seems you have made up your mind as to how to go.  Let us know how it turns out.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Dan,

My standard A6 rebuilt compressor from 2005 on my red convertible has held with r134 for a dozen years now with no troubles.  I rarely use it but once a month with top down just to exercise it.  My 1970 SDV with 38k miles has the original A6 done nothing to it except convert it over to r134 and it has worked great now for 5 years.  I think once you get a good one, it is fine.  However, I give you that it is not easy to always get a good one, and in suffering thru it possessing a means of recovering r12 is best.

I have no patience for installing authentic items on my car that are inferior, such as for example tower hose clamps.  If the A6 was an issue, I would not have it.

Why not buy another A6 for $16.50 and reseal it yourself - then you only have $30 invested?  You got the whole winter to do it. 

Best of luck however you manage,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dan LeBlanc

I haven't made up my mind either way.  I tend to like to have two solutions running in tandem in case one doesn't pan out.  Unfortunately my brain is wired that way - always keep two options open.

My current A6 is not leaking at all at the moment.  I just don't want to regret not doing it later.

If I found a shop that would tackle just the reseal, I'd be all over that first.
Dan LeBlanc

Scot Minesinger

Dan,

OK your A6 is not leaking - wow life must be great that you are starting to deal with a problem you do not have.  It seems easy to me then, search for a replacement and find a shop that will reseal it for you (or reseal yourself - you are probably going to spend more time on detail) now and have a spare on the shelf.  Since I have three 1970 Cadillacs, I have a lot of parts for them. 

On my 1970 Cadillacs the spool of thread shaped small transducer in dash unit seems to always fail, so I have replaced all three with a 1964-68 cigar shaped unit remote (which is easy to replace) that is much more durable and re-buildable.  The 1969-70 dash climate control unit is very difficult to replace (top screws).  So once this mod is made, your system should be very durable if that is ever required.

Best of luck,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dan LeBlanc

Yes. Life is good in the compressor department. I just want to be proactive and have this compressor resealed and install it again before it lets go keeping in mind the seals are older than I am.

I'll definitely keep the transducer part in mind should that fail. It would seem much easier to get at those top screws with the dash pad off and cluster out.

One of the invoices I got with the car lists install rebuilt climate control head unit and repair blend door. I'm not sure what the rebuilt head had done  to it but seems to be working. Interestingly enough they used two relays for high and low blower under the dash so the head unit is acting as a switch now with power routed around it. It works fine also so I'm going to leave it.

The electric side of the system is fine for now. It's the refrigeration side of the system that needs attention likely due to the use of Freeze 12 by the shop that did other work on the car. When I changed the compressor the first time the oil looked clean. Lord only knows what is lurking in the condenser and evaporator so those will be removed and flushed professionally. I found a shop 3 hours east of me that rebuilds radiators and heat exchangers.
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

So...all other things aside, any leads where a person can send an A6 for a reseal without doing a rebuild?  There are no shops near me that will tackle it and as I mentioned am not comfortable with taking apart and reassembling the compressor myself.
Dan LeBlanc