News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Alternators

Started by gkhashem, October 03, 2017, 02:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkhashem

I may need to replace an alternator in one of my cars. As I look at the rebuilt ones on Rock Auto, I see some AC Delco and Remy ones.

I would think the Remy ones to me look more correct in the pulley area. So I did some research and refreshed my memory. The original GM alternators were made by the Delco Remy division of GM prior to 1994.

So that would make the Remy rebuilt alternators more correct looking. Is that a correct conclusion?

The photos of the Remy rebuilt alternators look like the ones in all of my cars rather than the AC Delco ones.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

TJ Hopland

If the pulley is your only concern those can fairly easily be swapped.   

Not a lot usually goes wrong with them and they are not that hard to repair.   Repair kits range from $15-30.   Bearing failures were not that common on the older quality stuff, can't say that about newer stuff.    The kits include everything that usually goes wrong. 

The AC Delco stuff like that that I have seen recently appears to be the same stuff you can get from any parts store under several names but you pay more for the AC Delco box in this case.   I haven't got an AC part even made in Mexico recently.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

Most of them have Delco Remy one the back of the case.  I haven't seen one that only has Remy in ages.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

gkhashem

That answers the question Mike, they say Remy only on the box since since they can no longer use the Delco name due to GM naming issues. The rebuilt ones say Delco Remy since that was the original name, they just can't advertise them as such.

So the Remy which is really Delco Remy in the day seems correct. Not the AC Delco ones.

Thanks
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

cadillacmike68

Quote from: gkhashem on October 07, 2017, 07:48:06 AM
That answers the question Mike, they say Remy only on the box since since they can no longer use the Delco name due to GM naming issues. The rebuilt ones say Delco Remy since that was the original name, they just can't advertise them as such.

So the Remy which is really Delco Remy in the day seems correct. Not the AC Delco ones.

Thanks

Not only that the reman ones MOSTLY all use original cases which have the name stamped / molded into the case. You definitely want one with Delco,  Remy, or Delco Remy molded into the case otherwise it's a 4th party knockoff. I think even some ACDelco reman ones will have Delco / Remy on the case.

It gets confusing. As long as it is a quality reman it should be be fine. I take my alts and starters to a local auto-electrical shop when they burn out, and have them do it.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike