News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille Sound Deadening

Started by BillR. CLC # 29203, October 13, 2017, 07:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillR. CLC # 29203

My son has the cabin sound deadener installed. I told him I would ask if anybody has suggestions on how best to do the door interiors.
We're thinking: Get rough dimensions using the outside of the door. Cut to size and then feed into the space from the top down releasing the backing moving downward. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.   Bill Rodwick
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

CreepyOldGuy

Disclaimer:  I have no experience working with the door of a 59' Cadillac and have not a clue what the inner structure looks like.  Having said that, I do have some experience installing sound deadening. 

You do not need to cover the entire inner door structure to receive good results.  Most people will remove the door panel, sometimes the window mechanism, and apply pieces of cut material that can be fit through the openings of the door structure, covering as much as you can access.  Spray on liners like Lizard Skin work well for some styles of doors too. Make sure you are applying the product of your choice to a clean, grease free surface.

Jeff Wilk

Fully agree with that advice. It's actually all about sound absorbtion. The door cavities actually act like echo chambers without absorbing materials. The soray on helps reduce the echo effect by reducing vibration of the steel and absorbing some siund waves. Material like the tick foil backed tar sheets absorb even more. So even small pieces applied through the door openings will work great. On the firewall and floor oans where this material is also for heat shielding you'd want to cover as much as possible to keep the heat from radiating through even the smallest area. Have fun!!!

Jeff W
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

BillR. CLC # 29203

Shaun and Jeff,
Thanks for the thoughts.
He did use Denatured Alcohol to "prep" the surfaces.
BILL
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window