News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

68SDV/ removing dash as a unit

Started by taintedsaint, October 14, 2017, 04:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taintedsaint

Teardown progressing and I'm on to dash. Using Fisher book, it goes through dash top, then instrument cluster, then bezel etc. As each step was written for someone removing ONLY that part, it gets really old fast. As you all know.
Since I'm quite certain that Cadillac assembled the dash as a unit, lifted into car, connected hoses and cables etc. then bolted into place I simply can't believe there aren't like 6 big bolts to pull and remove it the same way.
SO, anyone know? I will be pulling column as well so I beleive that would have to come out first but then what? WOuld prefer to pull one big piece, place on bench and disassemble while NOT laying on my back.
Thanks in advance to all the superstars here.

Joe S>
Nokesville, VA 20181

taintedsaint

ANswered my own question by just getting to it. With dash top off, it came down to 6 bolts and disconnecting ALL electric and vacuum lines and pulling them free from back-of-dash retainers. Then the whole unit came out as one big heavy piece.
Nokesville, VA 20181

chrisntam

I would have thought it possible, but had no idea how to do it.

Glad you got it figured out!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

taintedsaint

Lots of hunting for the main bolts, then 2 hours to pull all the wire and hoses. But after that, quite easy. thanks for the support. :)
Nokesville, VA 20181

taintedsaint

Thought I'd post these just for show. It really can work out.
Nokesville, VA 20181

DeVille68

Interesting! With the column in place it would probably not be possible to remove the instrument panel, right?
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

taintedsaint

That is correct. I had removed column as part of tear down anyway, but as dash came out, it must tilt slightly down off of upper mount points. Column would have blocked it.
Nokesville, VA 20181