News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Winter storage plastic

Started by 60eldo, October 21, 2017, 10:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Im storing my car in one of those plastic covered tents on asphalt for the winter and was wondering if it would be a good idea to lay down a sheet of plastic on the driveway to keep moisture from rising,,, but then was thinking if snow gets into to garage and it will, if we get a though the snow will melt and will sit on the tarp, mmmmm thanks
Jon. Kluczynski

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I wouldn't do that. Whenever there's a rapid temperature fluctuation, condensation will appear and it will be trapped inside the "tent". Absolutely the worst thing you can do. You need a breathable cover for outdoor use.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Lexi

I agree with Eric. Aside from the fact that certain jurisdictions ban their use under certain conditions...they are not a good idea. i had a large garden storage 'tent', designed to drive a riding mower into. Perfect or so I thought for car parts storage. Temperature fluctuations resulted in crazy amounts of condensation formation on the inside surface of the tent. I would step in and sometimes it felt like it was lightly raining inside with all the moisture dripping from the roof! Had car parts there so moved all out to a safe environment. The rust that I saw as caused by this was very disturbing as it was extreme. Some days everything was soaking wet inside, as the moisture had no where to go even though by that time it was dry, bright and sunny outside. Seems that the vinyl surface of the tent actually encouraged this, as compared to a metal shed (though they have some air venting at the peak usually).I also had to regularly remove the snow from the roof which was a pain. I can only imagine what it would be like with a near 20 foot long car in the way.The snow would accumulate on each side and push the tent walls in leaving larger gaps at the bottom.  It will also attract vermin such as rodents that will easily find a way in to escape the weather! My experience is that they are rodent hotels. Had all sorts of them to contend with as well. Unless you have adequate ventilation to remove the moisture laden air from inside the tent, (plus mouse traps), no by-law issues (or at least understanding neighbours), forget it. Clay/Lexi

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Agree 100% with the last two posters.  Condensation + no circulation
of air = RUST for steel.  You need a proper cover for the car that is
breathable.  They are available.  See the "Superweave" cover at California
Car Cover:

https://www.calcarcover.com/blog/posts/how-to-select-your-car-cover/

I have several of their indoor covers (I have the garage space fortunately)
and the quality is top notch.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Lexi

If you elect to cover your vehicle with a car cover (not a tent-but a more or less form fitting protective fabric), Mike is correct in that it should breathe. In that event there is a new concern about the possibility of paint damage on contact points as caused by the wind. Have seen it before on a '55 CDV where high spots of the paint looked 'feathered' or lightly sanded. That was caused by wind which moved the cover (causing it to behave like fine sand paper at points of contact). Yes, it took months to happen, but it is a phenomenon not to be ignored (especially if your car has a decent paint job). Perhaps some other members can comment about whether certain covers are better than others in that regard. I would imagine that it would be very important to tie them down to the car to reduce movement as much as possible. Clay/Lexi

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Yes, you have to tie them to the car.  Here in PA, where we have our
share of winter storms in winter (summer too) it can get quite windy.
The good ones come with heavy elastic all around but that's not enough.

When I had to store the wife's car for a winter outside, I added front
to back and side to side tie downs via two heavy ropes that ran under the
chassis.  To secure it to the cover, I put heavy brass grommets on
all sides.  That kept the cover snug even in the worst conditions.  The
grommets were below the body so no chance of rubbing.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Lexi

Good advice. Metal grommet kits are a good investment. If you use an outdoor car cover I would take Mike's suggestion and add a lot of grommets down the sides to better secure the cover to the car. Checking it periodically. Clay/Lexi