News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Eldorado Seville Heat Stove Manifold Cover Bolts

Started by Seville1957, October 24, 2017, 12:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seville1957

Hey Guys,

I have the typical rusted choke heat stove cover on the exhaust manifold. All of the bolts are there but very rusty. Anyone have any luck getting the old bolts off without breaking them? I'm not at the point to where I want to pull the motor, wondering if I should wait until I pull the motor before messing with the cover.

Thanks

Seville1957

Below is a picture of what I am referring too

fishnjim

Most likely they're toast.  Don't use any power tools on them.   When I did mine, I soaked with penetrating oil for a few days and careful removed by hand, but one or two sheared off.   They rust under the cover from the heat cycles.   Easy to drill and use easy out if they break.   I used the backward thread drill bit and they came out.   Key is to soak them, so may want to wait to you take out the motor so can lay flat.   That's how I did.
After I had my manifold ceramic coated, I chased the threads and then used new grade 8 bolts.   The coating and harder bolt helps them survive, but won't be a factory finish.