News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How to install the upper windshield molding on a 1956 Cadillac DeVille?

Started by carguyblack, October 24, 2017, 11:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

Thought I'd ask if anyone has a secret on how to install the stainless molding across the top of the windshield / roof placement? I've succeeded in doinking the stainless a bit as I was thumping it is place into the new windshield rubber. I believe I did it according to the service manual but I dimpled my stainless nonetheless. I attempted to soften the rubber with heat and siliconed the heck out of the slot before I tried to get it in place but still did the damage using a rubber block as a cushion. Is there a trick other than never removing it in the first place? Thanks for any suggestions.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Roger Zimmermann

Did you try to install that molding when the windshield is installed on the car? The molding can only be installed into the rubber seal before the windshield is installed.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carguyblack

Yes, I think it was removed when the car was painted but not the entire windshield being removed. That was probably the impasse. Thanks, Roger.
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

cadman56

There is an extra groove in the rubber seal.  It is between the glass groove and the pinch weld groove.  The glass must be out to install the molding.  Hope the paint shop didn't ruin your molding.  The molding has a short flange bent at 90 deg. dowward.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

carguyblack

By "paint shop" you mean "Me". Yes, I was being insistant to get the thing back in and it is dimpled slightly, certainly seeing it in the right light but not that glaring of a problem. I can live with it and I do have another one in good shape yet. Just didn't want to repeat the damage. Sure hate to take the entire windshield out just to put the top stainless back in place, but someday I guess I'll have to do it the right way. The molding came out OK when prepping for paint but did not like to be put back in again, that's for sure!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE