News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Early AC

Started by SK903, October 24, 2017, 01:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SK903

On the 1955 caddies with AC I don't see anywhere on the dash where the vents were located. Were they located behind the rear seat?   
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

James Landi

On the four door sedans, they were located above your head... somewhat similar, in fact, to a passenger jet; however, in addition the driver and each passenger having a swivel to direct the cold air flow, each cabin roof air unit had small "air doors" that one could open, shut and direct the air flow.  THe trunk mounted evaporator had clear plexiglass  tubes on each side of the rear shelf that ducted the cold air from the trunk through the roof ceiling.   It is a terrific system, except that on hot, damp days, your side windows would occasionally fog up, and condensate would often drip on to your neck!

J. Gomez

Quote from: SK903 on October 24, 2017, 01:53:35 PM
On the 1955 caddies with AC I don't see anywhere on the dash where the vents were located. Were they located behind the rear seat?

That would be correct air outlets on the Coupes and air funnels for the roof ducts on the Sedans.

Sorry but I can't add the attachment showing the layout  >:(
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Older A/C systems, the evaporator and blowers were located in the trunk and conditioned air was blown through clear tubes to ducts in the headliner on 4 door models or ducts mounted in the rear compartment shelf on 2 door models. (53-56)

Air conditioning became available on convertibles in 1957.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

V63

The roof vent version was an OPTION on sedans. Rear deck vents were standard, I believe they referred to it as ‘western version’

Caddy Wizard

I believe that on the 53-56 sedans, all AC cars had the manifolds in the roof with clear plastic tubes running from the trunk unit to the manifolds.  On 53-56 coupes (and 56 Sedan de Villes), the refrigerated air exited directly through the rear package shelf through round louvers.

Interestingly, the cabin air was drawn into the trunk unit through the back seat and then on through the wooden board separating the cabin from the trunk.  The lower part of the back seat in AC cars was provided with chrome plated air inlets to draw in the cabin air for it to be cooled in the trunk!
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Lexi

My '56 Series 75 has 6 vents in the roof but not the plastic feeder tubes.I think that is correct for my car, but in view of the above I wonder if I am missing them or are they buried behind the enlarged landau (sail panel) area? AC not operational so I have not spent any time on it so not familiar with the system. Clay/Lexi

I've never seen clear tubes on a Series 75 w/air FWIW. 

J. Gomez

Quote from: lexi on October 24, 2017, 04:59:23 PM
My '56 Series 75 has 6 vents in the roof but not the plastic feeder tubes.I think that is correct for my car, but in view of the above I wonder if I am missing them or are they buried behind the enlarged landau (sail panel) area? AC not operational so I have not spent any time on it so not familiar with the system. Clay/Lexi

Series 75 has the extension air ducts behind the roof liner at the rear pillars.

Man still can’t add attachments to my messages...!  >:(  >:( 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

V63

I’ve had sedans with the package tray vents...and converted them to roof discharge. Roof discharge was not avail on coupes. These were ‘western’ examples and maybe were fitted with ‘western’ termed versions?

Series 75 were an exception, only roof discharge thru hidden ducting in c pillars.

Caddy Wizard

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! You learn something new every day.  I have never seen a 53-56 sedan with factory air with package shelf vents (other than the 56 SDV), but who am I to say?  I only know what I have seen or read and am not all-knowing.

I wonder why they would use package shelf vents out west?  Curious...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

gary griffin

J Gomez,  I have problems adding attachments so I make a post then use my cell phone to add the attachments and photos.  I have most current pictures in my phone anyway.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

J. Gomez

Quote from: gary griffin on October 25, 2017, 10:39:37 AM
J Gomez,  I have problems adding attachments so I make a post then use my cell phone to add the attachments and photos.  I have most current pictures in my phone anyway.

Gary,

I have had issue with attachments on this forum, I’ve try on this post to add a standard JPG file and shrink it from 1K down to 700 and again down to 400 with same results.

I’m not sure if there is a quota for the users on adding attachments on multiple posts or not. ???

I just reply to a new post on the technical side and added an attachment with no issues, oh well c'est la vie.  :(

Thanks,
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

SK903

Thank you all for your replies
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

76Caddy

Scroll through the pictures till you find the one of the rear a/c vent.  My 1955 Series 62 Sedan had factory a/c but did not have vents in the headliner nor did it have clear tubes.  It had round vents just like the 1956 shown here.  Mine was sold new in Spartanburg, South Carolina so it was not a "western car".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Cadillac-DeVille-Sedan/192346328162?hash=item2cc8bc0c62:g:ji4AAOSwRr5ZuuO3&vxp=mtr
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

As Dan had posted in the other (55 Fleetwood) thread, on sedan models, there was a choice of rear package shelf outlets or roof mounted outlets which had the clear tube duct work.

59-in-pieces

My Mom's 56 SDV had the rear AC with the outside scoops on the sides and the louvered vents on the package tray - not the clear tubes - Cali. car.
Other members of our clan with earlier Cads SDV's had the plastic tubes.
Pain in the butt because they discolored and got dusty dirty with little or no way to clean the tubes without hair line scratches which over time made the tubes un-clear - tacky looking - and as they told me at the time made it hard to see behind, side to side.
My 2 centavos.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Bill Young

Actually 1956 was the first year factory air was available on the Convertible Cadillac's.

Quote from: Bill Young on November 02, 2017, 09:56:03 PM
Actually 1956 was the first year factory air was available on the Convertible Cadillac's.

I stand corrected Bill.

James Landi

I find myself wondering--- having owned two a/c equipped  1956 62 short deck sedans with the 4 roof top vents, which model a/c was the better of the two models?  Wonder just how effectively the cool air reached to the front from the rear vented package shelf. The roof mounted a/c vents fogged the side windows and dripped condensate on your shoulder during hot, humid days, but truly cooled the car's interior very effectively.  THoughts?   James