News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 De Ville engine problem

Started by 1976Deville, October 25, 2017, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1976Deville

Ok , I have some more questions. Yesterday I drove my 76 Deville the first time after replacing the motor mounts,  timing chain , valve stem seal,  distributor cap and rotor etc. I sill have some small problems. The first two are, the exhaust fume stinks  ( timing and carb are set correctly ) the second problem is , the engine shakes a little bit in park position if I drive the car and accelerate I can feel a small vibration inside the car.
Any help would be great.
Thanks Herbert

35-709

Exhaust fumes always stink --- unless you're burning aviation gas.  Catalytic converter bad?
Are you saying it is running rich?   Automatic choke coming off all they way?  Did you set the idle mixture with a vacuum gauge?  Might possibly need a carb overhaul.  Engine not idling smoothly leads me first to the carburetor, then plugs and plug wires.
A vibration felt on acceleration or while driving along suggests a driveline problem somewhere --- rear tranny mount, u-joints?  Could also be a miss, which brings us back to plugs and plug wires.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

1976Deville

Hi 35-709.
Carb got an overhaul and everything on the carb works fine, plugs and wire are new. Yes the fumes stinks like running rich, but everything is set by the book

The Tassie Devil(le)

As for the vibrating, when re-fitting the exhaust, does it clear everything?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

1976Deville

Yes, I had the vibration and the fumes before I did the cylinder heads. I thought  the problem was the broken exhaust manifold bolts

Dave Shepherd

Vibration at idle like an engine misfire?

1976Deville

engine fires correct. The car goes from 0 to 80 mph very fast. Some guy told me to replace the EGR Valve