News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rust removal concoction

Started by bullet bob, October 27, 2017, 07:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullet bob

I was just reading a post dealing with rust, and thought y'all might like to see/try this. This was first reported on another forum (motorcycle) I belong to. I've tried it. Works great. Penetrating oils .......... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .......................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ..................... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds

ATF*-Acetone mix...........53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix. *ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid"
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Tom Boehm

Hello, Does it matter what kind of ATF is used? There is Ford type F, Mercon, Dexron, etc.  Also, does the acetone evaporate out of the mixture if it is stored for any length of time? Thanks, Tom

C Gorgas

I have used this a great number of times and it works. Makes no difference on the ATF but the acetone does evaporate as time moves on. Chet 25441

bullet bob

No, it doesn't matter what type of ATF you use, but as said, the acetone can evaporate. I keep it in a sealed plastic spray bottle, but you may have to experiment with different types of spray bottles as this doesn't play well with some types of plastic.
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Glen

I have been using this for years.  I put it in a squeeze bottle with transparent sides.  The only problem I have it the acetone and ATF separate quickly.  Just shake it up before each squirt.  Sometimes it works immediately but works better if you let it soak a while. 

As mentioned the acetone evaporates.  I cap the spout to slow that down.     

I introduced this to a friend that works for the Coast Guard.  He like it a lot but had to keep it hidden because there is no MSDS so cannot be used officially.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

fishnjim

I wouldn't call it a rust removal material but a very good penetrant. 
Acetone is highly flammable, so be careful mixing, spraying and using.  Good ventilation.   Avoid sparks and hot surfaces. like drilling or torquing out stuck rusty bolts.   
You can get similar results with other solvents, like V&M naptha or mineral spirits.  You just want to thin out the mixture.
Acetone separates out over time as mentioned but easily re-suspends. 
Test: take a flat piece of steel and put a drop on it.   Watch it spread out over the surface.   It'll cover the surface in little time.
I don't see the same degree of response as the chart indicates, but something else to try on those stubborn ones.   

gary griffin

WD 40 was created by Dow chemicals under contract of defense department. It was created to be heavier than water and was placed in pits in missile silos to displace water accumulations.

Water Deplacement formula 40 has other uses also. Example is water in cylinder due to bad gasket.  Pour WD 40 in and the water will rise to the top and can be removed by siphon or vacuum. You can not get all of the WD 40 out but not as bad as having water in there is it?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver