News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 Eldorado drain apron

Started by 7gen, November 02, 2017, 05:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7gen

Can someone walk me through how to reconnect the drain apron to the retaining rod for the convertible top on a 76 Eldorado? I had some work done to get the top to go down into the well better and based on the trunk full of water I just found, they did not reconnect the drain apron properly. It is a new top and apron and the top had to be reinstalled to get the liner fitted properly to fold down right and I'm thinking that they did not reconnect the drain apron when they got done. Rather than take it back, I'd like to see if I can get it pinned up properly myself.

Thanks!!!

The Tassie Devil(le)

The drain clips up under the panel in front of the trunk lid.

There are about 5 or 6 clips that you have to push the wire-encased material up into, and in some cases, you may have to bend the tabs to retain the gutter.

You will have to climb into the trunk to see what you are doing, so best to remove the spare tyre, and anything else in the trunk to gain better access.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Seeing as the trunk got wet, better put on a wet suit to keep dry.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Same thing happened to me too.  I took it back to the shop so I didn't get to see exactly what was done but it was something that gets unhooked during the install / alignment process and apparently often gets forgotten.

There was some item back there I remember the shop showing me that comes in the new kits but isn't the same as the original.  Seems like it was something that snapped on.  The showed be both the old and new and the new one looked like it wouldn't hold so we kept my old one.    Sorry I don't remember more details.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

7gen

Doesn't sound too bad to try myself. I have the Fisher Guide and it has a diagram at least of the clip. I'm pretty sure I can sort it out with that and the advice here. Thank you!!!!

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, and you will need a torch to see up in there.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon