News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Factory build sheet

Started by Jerry Leighton, November 02, 2017, 05:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Leighton

Hello everyone,
    I was once aware of a program where one could send in a $50 fee/donation to the CLC Museum along with the Vin # of your Caddy and you would get the original factory build sheet sent to you.  Does anyone know if this program still exists?  If so, where can I access information to send away for the build sheet for my 1966 Cadillac?
Thanks so much,
-Jerry Leighton

Vince Taliano #13852

From https://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/GM_Vehicle_Invoices,_Build_Records_and_Vintage_Vehicle_Information_Availability

Build Records

The build record is a document that followed the vehicle down the assembly line as the car was being built. Assembly line workers used the option codes on the build record to determine which part they were to install. The build record option codes were specific to different vehicle lines and require decoding to understand individual options.

Cadillac is the only General Motors division that was able to preserve the majority of their factory build records all the way back to 1903. These build records have taken on many forms over the years. Early build records were hand written in oversized leather bound journals. While more recent records are computer generated.

Build records are available for Cadillac only. There are no Cadillac build records available for 1968, 1974-1979 and some 1973 models. Cadillac build records are printed from microfilm or microfiche. This package will include information pertaining to the option code and will be mailed USPS for $50 USD.

Sample build sheets are available by visiting the GMMA website: Vehicle Build section.

Note:
Due to potential security issues, effective September 20, 2006, GMMA will no longer be supplying Dealer Invoices or Build Sheets with Key Code information. This information can be obtained by contacting your dealer.

Vintage Vehicle Information

GMMA can provide model-specific Vintage Vehicle Information Packages. For a fee of $50, GMMA will decode the vehicle identification number (VIN), the body plate/trim tag codes and provide photocopies of product literature including (when available):

Divisional Engineering Specifications
AMA/MVMA Specifications
Product Selling Information/Salesperson's Guides
Options and Accessories Information
Paint and Trim Guides
Sales Literature
Owner's Literature
Production Volumes
Note:
The amount of information varies from model to model. Information relevant to a specific model if available, will be mailed USPS.

Packages are available for the following Makes and Model Years:

Cadillac - All Years
Chevrolet - All Model Years
GMC - All Model Years
Oldsmobile - All Model Years
Pontiac - 1926 to 1958
Saab - All Model Years
Saturn All Model Years

Additional Information

Unfortunately, GMMA does not retain original documentation for every vehicle built. Each GM division and plant was responsible for maintaining production information. Since there were no retention guidelines for this information and plants did not have the necessary space to store it all, most records were destroyed after 10 years.

GMMA can NOT:

Authenticate vehicles or options.
Provide window stickers. You can use the information we provide to have a window sticker re-created.
Provide recall clearance letters. Call 888-467-6853 for more information.
Provide current model information. Call 800-222-1020 for more information.

Ordering Information is available by visiting the GMMA website: http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=4

If you have any questions, please contact us at:

vehicleinvoice@gmmediaarchive.com
Telephone: 1-734-462-5543, ext. 163
Fax: 1-734-261-5216
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jerry Leighton

Thanks so much to both of you!  Amazing data and speed :)

Bob Kielar

I was looking at my build sheet today and noticed there is a K in front of the engine unit number it reads K24088. It is the only one on the sheet that has the K does anyone know what the K means?

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

K prefix indicates this engine was originally fitted with air conditioning.

Not that surprising yours is the only car on the sheet so equipped in 1955.

Bob Kielar

Thanks Eric
Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jerry Leighton

I am looking to find out which factory my car was built.  The data plate has a build code of FWD.  Does anyone know what that represents?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Stands for Fleetwood interior.   The body is probably by Fisher.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Your car was built at the Cadillac Clark St. plant, they all were at that time.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jerry Leighton

Cool!  thanks to you both for the info.
:)

Body #17260 = 17,260th convertible body built (of 19,200). FWD- Fleetwood Plant as mentioned.

E- EZ Eye Glass, Y- Power Seat (6 way), K- Air Conditioning.

Glen

06D = build date fourth week of June 1966
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104