News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Fleetwood

Started by Jpc3392, November 21, 2017, 10:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jpc3392

Good morning all.  New member, 1st post, so don't beat me up too bad.  I'll be picking up a 68 Fleetwood project this week, and was looking for some guidance.  I'll be looking to turn it into a weekend driver, don't intend on it ever competing in a Concours d'Elegance.  Needs a fair amount of work all around and just through some internet searches it seems parts are scarce for this year.  I was specifically looking for reproduction quarter panels, as this area has some rot, and I would rather replace than patch.  Anyways seems this forum is the authority on this subject and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction (without saying don't buy the car, lol).

Highwayman68

Since you have bought the car now buy the Shop manuals, they are available through eBay.

Ask question and provide pictures, we like pictures more than questions but we do like answering questions too.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

chrisntam

Perhaps a parts car with good quarters?

Where (in the world) are you located?

And congrats on the acquisition!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jdemerson

Good morning, JPC.

I don't have the parts book for your '68, but someone here will be able to tell you whether rear quarter from a Deville will work on your Fleetwood 60S. I know that they would NOT work on earlier models. If so, that may be somewhat limiting for you.

FWIW, I think that a 1968 Cadillac Fleetwood is one of the most desirable of all the "real" Cadillacs of the 1960s. (Not arguing against a 1967-70 Eldorado here -- they are magnificent.) There are many reasons why your year and model are especially attractive. Some are objective, and some are subjective and a matter of personal preference.

Objective considerations:

• Excellent new 375 hp 472 cubic inch V8
  • Excellent Turbo-Hydramatic
  • Optional front disc brakes
  • Last year of vent windows, four and powered in 60S
  • Safety features: seat belts standard in all positions with two front shoulder belts (option at start of model year), retractors on outside belts, rear shoulder belts optional
  • Side marker lights first used
  • Safety features introduced in 1967: energy-absorbing steering column, heavily-padded instrument panel, hazard warning flashers
  • Printed mylar-circuit dashboard, introduced in 1967
  • Real wood veneer (discontinued after 1969)

Subjective considerations:

• Vertically-stacked headlights
  • Hump in rear fender
  • Concealed windshield wipers under longer hood
  • Traditional instrument panel, compared to 1969+, though perhaps not as nice as mid-60s

I've perhaps gone out on a limb here in the subjective list, and I'll expect pushback from other members. For example, some may say that the vent windows are a disadvantage in a car that has excellent Climate Control. I don't mean to offend owners of the beautiful '69 and '70 models, which do offer some advantages over the '68s. But for me the 1968 models hit a very attractive compromise with their features, style, and engineering excellence. Since you will use the car as a nice weekend driver, many of the features I've listed do have some relevance. All this to say that it is worth it to bring back your Fleetwood. Good luck!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X (which has NONE of the advantages mentioned above!)
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Highwayman68

Take some pictures of the rear quarters once you get the car and we can provide you better feedback on your options to proceed.

Jpc3392

Located in eastern Long Island New York.  Car is here but its pouring out, snapped some quick shots, but on my way to work so ill have to get it inside and take better pics after the holiday.  I zoomed in on the one pic of the left rear, you can see the bubbles above the wheel well, the other rot is behind that convenient piece of trim in the lower rear.  The passenger side is very similar condition, but add damage into the skirt. 
Shop manual from ebay is on the way too.

Chas

In my very humble and limited opinion, no need for you to replace complete quarters! What I can see in your photos is limited rot (although can't really tell unless the paint is removed first). Those are some pretty flat sided quarters. Any competent resto/hot rod shop can cut that rot out and fab up a patch panel to weld in.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Highwayman68

I agree what you have there is a typical rust location that can be repaired with metal replacement. Look under the lower rear chrome molding you should see more rust there too.

So it's not just a Fleetwood Brougham but it is a Series 75 Fleetwood Brougham, nice.

Highwayman68

That is not a factory looking antenna from what I see in the picture.

Also align the upper passenger side headline, it stands out.

The dip in the front of the hood on the drivers side should be corrected by adjusting the height of standoff on that side. It's a threaded post with a rubber cap on it.

35-709

Quote from: Chas on November 22, 2017, 01:43:27 PM
In my very humble and limited opinion, no need for you to replace complete quarters! What I can see in your photos is limited rot (although can't really tell unless the paint is removed first). Those are some pretty flat sided quarters. Any competent resto/hot rod shop can cut that rot out and fab up a patch panel to weld in.

I agree 100%, should be no need to replace the whole quarter, just have it repaired with a weld-in patch by a competent body shop, they do that kind of work all the time.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

jdemerson

Quote from: Highwayman68 on November 22, 2017, 05:46:21 PM
I agree what you have there is a typical rust location that can be repaired with metal replacement. Look under the lower rear chrome molding you should see more rust there too.

So it's not just a Fleetwood Brougham but it is a Series 75 Fleetwood Brougham, nice.

Is that right? A 75? It's a bit hard to tell from the angles of the photos, but I suspect it might be a Fleetwood 60S slick top (not Brougham). In any event it looks worth an investment of time and effort -- a beautiful car.
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Jpc3392

Caught a break in the rain before I left for work.  It's a 60 special non brougham, but I absolutely love the car and plan on keeping it forever.
The rust all appears lower and hopefully can just be patched, just got a price on complete quarters from a salvage yard in Arizona and almost fell over lol.  Also see some cracked body filler in the rear right so until I start pulling it apart gonna be hard to tell whats hidden.  Trunk, floors and doors seem solid at least. Highwayman68 I agree that antenna is atrocious, going to have to look into that.  Buyer is coming for the truck clogging up my garage on Saturday, so I'll start playing with it this weekend.  Also going to be doing some motor work, don't care for the amount of smoke and noise from the valves.  Any recommendations on overhaul kits.  Thanks for all the advice thus far fellas.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Highwayman68 on November 22, 2017, 05:46:21 PM

It is neither It's a Fleetwood Sixty Special Sedan. 75s have Real Long rear doors and no rear vents. The 60S has the wreath & Crest at the back by the bumper where the Brougham has smaller ones on the side of the roof.

Nice looking car. Nothing that can't be corrected, there is a lot of missing body trim though. As noted, get the manuals, shop and body.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike