News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

472 Valve Cover / Engine Temp (Powder Coat vs Ceremic)

Started by MH69Coupe, November 22, 2017, 12:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MH69Coupe

Hi Guys,

My valve covers are a bit rusty and old color flakes are no good around the car etc. planning to take them off and do either powder coat or find someone who can do ceremic coating. I think powder coating heats the metal to about 400F??? is it correct?

I know Ceremic will be totally safe but what is the avg engine bay temp? especially the valve covers? will powder coating be ok?

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Powder coating works just fine on rocker arm covers. The folks that did mine for me had to mix a batch of powder to get the correct "Cadillac Blue" but they did and it matches the Hirsch paint color.  I also had them do my intake , timing cover, oil pan  and all removable parts such as brackets (various colors).  The only discoloration after 15 years as a daily driver is on the intake around the exhaust cross-over.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

MH69Coupe

Thanks...what would be a typical engine bay temp? rocker arm covers & intake manifold may be?

Chas

Don't have the answer to your question.....but it wouldn't be hard to find out with one of them "point and shoot" digital thermometers. I had one when we were racing, but sold it along with most of the other go fast junk you accumulate when spending more money than you can afford!
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

MH69Coupe

MH69Coupe

I am fixing the wiring around the valve covers - the old tape has become a big sticky mess. Somebody put a standard black insulation tape around that.
I am getting a up-to 400F heat resistant fiberglass wire wrap-around sleeve. Hopefully it should not hit 400F just under the hood!!! But will check with the digital-thermo.

MH69Coupe

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on November 22, 2017, 10:07:28 AM
Powder coating works just fine on rocker arm covers. The folks that did mine for me had to mix a batch of powder to get the correct "Cadillac Blue" but they did and it matches the Hirsch paint color.  I also had them do my intake , timing cover, oil pan  and all removable parts such as brackets (various colors).  The only discoloration after 15 years as a daily driver is on the intake around the exhaust cross-over.
Greg Surfas

Greg - is there a paint code for the Cadillac Blue? what should I tell them?

cadillacmike68

My rocker arm covers held up just fine over the years and that was just using engine enamel. So I just sprayed them again with the bill Hirsch engine enamel.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Muhammad,
What I did was take a a correct colored rocker arm cover (one of a pair) in for them to match.  When they did the rocker arm covers and other parts I compared the color to the other cover that had original color paint on it.  Bill Hirsch has the correct color paint, and if you just want the color, I would suggest using it instead of going to the expense of powder.  If applied as per instructions and allowed to dry as indicated I will provide years of service.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Powder coating works real well, did that on mine.  If you have deep rust pits, it will take several coats and sanding in between.  refinished valve covers without attention to the pits, make it look not much better than before you started.  Before you re-finish be sure and remove and deformations caused by previous over tightening of the bolts that hold the cover on, or you will have leaks.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty