News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 wiper question

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, December 05, 2017, 04:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Hello, it's me again.
1955 vacuum wipers were dead. Cables frozen so freed them up but motor still just about dead. After research I lubricated the motor with atf (brake fluid hates paint) and they work now. Had them running a few minutes in the garage with water on the windshield and they moved reasonably well however did not return to park on their own. They would not restart after bring shut off without my giving them a ltitle push. Also I had to turn them off by moving the slide with a screwdriver.  Pulled the motor off and lubed some more. The phenolic valve block was very crapped up and would not move on its own. It was also very pitted on all sides other than the sealing surface. It was so rough it was like moving sandpaper. I cleaned it up and smoothed it with some fine wet/dry sandpaper taking care to not remove too much so that it would not seal tightly (did not touch the sealing surface). The bracket for the coordinator was also bent.
As far as the engine side cabling goes, the cable from the switch only pushed the slide block turning the motor on. It did not pull the block back. The coordinator cable seemed to shut it off so they sort of worked together.
Should the cable from the switch only turn the motor on or should it also shut it off?  What makes them return to their parked position?
The manual is very limited on the wipers and I have not found much on-line about them. I have not opened the motor itself. It seems to move freely now and air will blow out when I turn the shaft. I hear the reversing cam engaging at the end of every cycle.
I hope I have described this well enough.
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Roger Zimmermann

Due to my limited English, I will not do too many comments on your topic, just one: yes, the wire from the switch is turning to motor on and off. The attached picture is showing you that the wire is pushing the black slider to turn the motor on while the small washer at the end of the cable is pulling the slider back to stop the wipers. The park position is obtained when the slider is completely pulled back, if all the internal passages from your motor have not been altered.
By the way, the wipers from my '57 Brougham did not return to the park position. A casting problem at the wiper motor prevented the slider to come back completely. This factory problem was cured after about 50 years...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Thanks.
What is the order of the cables? Is the top one from the coordinator and the bottom from the dash switch or vice versa?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on December 06, 2017, 12:07:12 PM
Thanks.
What is the order of the cables? Is the top one from the coordinator and the bottom from the dash switch or vice versa?

? which cables? the coordinator is attached to the slider; there is just one "cable" (a wire indeed) wich is coming to the slider.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

The coordinator has a short cable coming out of it and then there is the cable that comes thru the firewall. The guy that came thru the firewall just pushed on the black slider which turned it on. The firewall cable has a very fine ring on the end and the slider has a slot in it that looks like it could accept the firewall cable's ring. Mine was loose.
Sorry I am having a hard time describing it.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373