News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 coupe rear cigar lighter receptacle

Started by gatech1956, December 07, 2017, 10:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatech1956

Checking my cigar lighter receptacles and found all of them work except one of the ones in the backseat. Any tips on how to get it working? Checked the wires and it's plugged in. I don't think its the lighter because it will work on the other receptacles.

Thanks

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Back when everybody smoked, replacement lighter sockets were commonly sold at auto parts stores. Casco was the company that made them. If you can't find them locally, try E-Bay.

J. Gomez

Quote from: gatech1956 on December 07, 2017, 10:11:05 PM
Checking my cigar lighter receptacles and found all of them work except one of the ones in the backseat. Any tips on how to get it working? Checked the wires and it's plugged in. I don't think its the lighter because it will work on the other receptacles.

Thanks

You may still have the old in-line fuse at the base which could be blown. You need to remove the base from the ashtray and you will notice it the fuse is screw in at the base of the holder with the red power wire hook-up.

Finding one would be a challenge and pricy as well, best option is to splice a new in-line fuse holder with a fuse in its place.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

gatech1956

hm okay. So I think this what I am going to do. I am going to take the working one and connect to the wire of the side that is not working. If it is able to light the lighter then that would tell me that it is not the fuse but the receptacle. If it does not light when I know it works for the other passenger connection then it is the receptacle that needs to be changed and if that's the case then I will have to contact Roger :)

gatech1956

Quote from: J. Gomez on December 08, 2017, 07:11:08 AM
You may still have the old in-line fuse at the base which could be blown. You need to remove the base from the ashtray and you will notice it the fuse is screw in at the base of the holder with the red power wire hook-up.

Finding one would be a challenge and pricy as well, best option is to splice a new in-line fuse holder with a fuse in its place.

Good luck..!

Mr. Gomez. So i took out both rear plates and noticed something. On the side that is working the metal piece around the red wire is supported by a rubber ring and it doesn't move along the wire. The side that is not working the the rubber ring has broken apart and now the metal piece slides up and down the wire with no support from underneath. I took a small zip tie and tied under the metal piece to support it so it won't slide like on the side that is working. So maybe because it was loose was the reason it wasn't lighting. Unfortunately i haven't been able to test it because I think I blew a fuse while messing with the wires. But once I replace the fuse I will see how it goes.

J. Gomez

Quote from: gatech1956 on December 08, 2017, 03:17:29 PM
Mr. Gomez. So i took out both rear plates and noticed something. On the side that is working the metal piece around the red wire is supported by a rubber ring and it doesn't move along the wire. The side that is not working the the rubber ring has broken apart and now the metal piece slides up and down the wire with no support from underneath. I took a small zip tie and tied under the metal piece to support it so it won't slide like on the side that is working. So maybe because it was loose was the reason it wasn't lighting. Unfortunately i haven't been able to test it because I think I blew a fuse while messing with the wires. But once I replace the fuse I will see how it goes.

I’ve combined the connector, and cigarette base with the old Casco fuse and also included one showing the fuse for reference.

Hmm are you referring to the plastic insulator around the brass connector that plugs in the cigarette lighter terminal?  ??? Similar to the one in red (not the correct one just for illustration) on the attach picture?

If yours still has the metal can as the one in the attach picture that is the in-line fuse, it just screws on the barrel of the lighter base.

The +12V for these would be coming from the main body feed which is protected by a 25A fuse at the panel.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

gatech1956

Quote from: J. Gomez on December 08, 2017, 05:44:03 PM
I’ve combined the connector, and cigarette base with the old Casco fuse and also included one showing the fuse for reference.

Hmm are you referring to the plastic insulator around the brass connector that plugs in the cigarette lighter terminal?  ??? Similar to the one in red (not the correct one just for illustration) on the attach picture?

If yours still has the metal can as the one in the attach picture that is the in-line fuse, it just screws on the barrel of the lighter base.

The +12V for these would be coming from the main body feed which is protected by a 25A fuse at the panel.

That insulator is around the brass connector is fine. However, there was another that was under the metal can and it broke apart allowing the can to move freely along the wire. The red wire for the working side still had its insulator and the metal can stayed in place. So i was thinking maybe the brass connector wasn't making contact with the lighter when it gets pushed down because the can was loose.

J. Gomez

Quote from: gatech1956 on December 08, 2017, 06:07:46 PM
That insulator is around the brass connector is fine. However, there was another that was under the metal can and it broke apart allowing the can to move freely along the wire. The red wire for the working side still had its insulator and the metal can stayed in place. So i was thinking maybe the brass connector wasn't making contact with the lighter when it gets pushed down because the can was loose.

Ahh ok so what you are describing sounds like the can (Casco fuse) fiber insulator broke which is not uncommon, the inside of the fuse if fill with a fine sandy powder so when it blows the insulator would wrap/pop to show a blown fuse.

You could just unscrewed the top can from the lighter base since that fuse is RIP.   ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082