News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

When to do second head torque on 346 flathead and Stop Leak?

Started by gary griffin, December 12, 2017, 06:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

Had it running for a couple short time and ready to run it up to temperature and know it will take a second torque but is that hot or after it cools down.  I torqued to 70 pounds according to the manual but held it at 65 for bolts that were threaded into inserts. Also had leakage problems and an old sage told  me to use Stop Leak in the water. Had leaks first time around so very concerned this time.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bobby B

Quote from: gary griffin on December 12, 2017, 06:09:20 PM
Had it running for a couple short time and ready to run it up to temperature and know it will take a second torque but is that hot or after it cools down.  I torqued to 70 pounds according to the manual but held it at 65 for bolts that were threaded into inserts. Also had leakage problems and an old sage told  me to use Stop Leak in the water. Had leaks first time around so very concerned this time.

Gary,
Re-Torque cold only IF your gasket manufacturer recommends it. Some gaskets = NO Re-torque. Why would you use Stop Leak? Clogs the you-know-what out of everything, that's why it MIGHT stop the leak. Did you ever take an engine, radiator, or heater core apart that had that junk in it? It's not pretty, and if it doesn't stop the leak, you have another mess on your hands as far as clean up goes, and you're back to square one with your original issue. I have seen a better product used in the infamous E-type engines to control the notorious valve gasket issue. Still...A Band-Aid.
                                                                                                                                                                           Bobby

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Fred Pennington 25635

Gary, Just because a gasket say No Re torque doesn't mean you can't. It just means you may not have to.
You said you held back on the torque on the bolts with inserts. No need, a properly installed insert is stronger than the original threads. Also if it won't hold proper torque, it won't hold under load and fail at the most inconvenient time.

Good Luck
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500