News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Engine block casting # 1468751

Started by Seanicroute74, December 12, 2017, 08:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanicroute74

Does anyone have a block casting # list. I'm looking at a engine with a casting # 1468751 but I can't find anything about it. I'm looking for a 1958 365 Brougham engine.  Any help would be great. Thanks. S olsen

Roger Zimmermann

This casting number does not appear on my listing from the "1950-65 General Motors interchange manual. Where did you get that number?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

You won't find what you're looking for with casting numbers.   The 365 blocks are basically all the same, you'll have to look for the stamped VIN numbers on the tab in front of the pass side head.   If it's a fleetwood brougham you're after, you need to see 58 P, as the first digits.   If it's another, then you use the year 58 and letter designation for that model.   You can get the whole list from the GMheritagecenter archives.   If a free download.   I have it but not handy.
I wouldn't fret about it, any good '58 block will do, if it needs decked they'll remove the stamped numbers anyway and no one will know.   Just need to put the correct parts on the outside and inside per model specifications.   You could search for your original motor, by using the VIN, but chances of finding as slim and none, if you have no historical documentation.   

J. Gomez

Quote from: Seanicroute74 on December 12, 2017, 08:48:38 PM
Does anyone have a block casting # list. I'm looking at a engine with a casting # 1468751 but I can't find anything about it. I'm looking for a 1958 365 Brougham engine.  Any help would be great. Thanks. S olsen

Someone already put a list of Cadillac casting #s at the H.A.M.B. you can check the list here -> https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/caddy-engine-casting-numbers.397279/

But as Roger mention your number do not match what they have on the list neither for 1957 on.   ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

We must not forget that the 57 & 58 Brougham motors are not exactly the same as lesser models: the oil filter is on the main circuit; therefore, the block is similar, but different for the oil filter adapter provision. The listing I have is most probably for the regular engines, not for the Brougham ones.
Unfortunately, I did not record the block casting from my '57 Brougham.
With the VIN stamped on the block, we can 100% determine for which kind of car this motor came from.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David King (kz78hy)

I answered his question on the Eldorado Brougham Chapter Facebook page. 

When I had my engine out for rebuild, I took photos of the block number and that one is correct, 1468715.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Seanicroute74

thank you for the info sir, it helped me very much. sorry it took so long to reply.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: fishnjim on December 13, 2017, 10:00:20 AM
You won't find what you're looking for with casting numbers.   The 365 blocks are basically all the same, you'll have to look for the stamped VIN numbers on the tab in front of the pass side head.   If it's a fleetwood brougham you're after, you need to see 58 P, as the first digits.   If it's another, then you use the year 58 and letter designation for that model.   You can get the whole list from the GMheritagecenter archives.   If a free download.   I have it but not handy.
I wouldn't fret about it, any good '58 block will do, if it needs decked they'll remove the stamped numbers anyway and no one will know.   Just need to put the correct parts on the outside and inside per model specifications.   You could search for your original motor, by using the VIN, but chances of finding as slim and none, if you have no historical documentation.

No such thing as a 1958 Fleetwood Brougham. There Was a 1958 elDorado Brougham
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on September 08, 2018, 09:46:45 AM
No such thing as a 1958 Fleetwood Brougham. There Was a 1958 elDorado Brougham

The official name for the car is Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter