News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

68 DeVille turning lamps

Started by Giant Jason, December 18, 2017, 04:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Jason

Hey All-
I'm new to the forum. I bought a 1968 DeVille Convt about 5 months ago.  Can someone please explain to me how to change the cornering headlamp bulbs? I did a search on the forum and didn't find any explanations for my car. Do I have to remove the front tires?

For added fun, can you also give an explanation as to changing the turn signal indicators on top of the fenders.

I've replaced most other bulbs on this car with LEDs and now my cornering bulbs and gauge bulbs do not come on. The parking lamps only come on when I signal. However, all the bulbs worked fine before I changed the front signal lights to LEDs. Fuses 1 and 7 are brand new, but have no power going to them. I'm hoping that it's just a matter of changing these other bulbs, but I bought a new headlight switch- to arrive tomorrow- just in case that is the problem.  I do have a wiring schematic for this car, in theory. It says it's for a 68, but it's wrong about half the time- my guess is that this was a "Monday" car.  :D

Highwayman68

Quote from: Giant Jason on December 18, 2017, 04:45:22 PM
Hey All-
I'm new to the forum. I bought a 1968 DeVille Convt about 5 months ago.  Can someone please explain to me how to change the cornering headlamp bulbs? I did a search on the forum and didn't find any explanations for my car. Do I have to remove the front tires?

Removing the front tires will help but is not necessary.
From page 12-9 of the Shop Manual:
Reach in with a 1/4" drive ratchet to remove two screws on the top of the assembly and one on the bottom of the assembly.

From page 12-9 of the Shop Manual:
After you get the light housing out there are six Phillips screws holding the lens on.

For added fun, can you also give an explanation as to changing the turn signal indicators on top of the fenders.
From page 12-7 of the Shop Manual:
1. Remove the headlight bezel
2. Remove Phillip screw holding indicator assembly in.
3. Remove Phillips screw holding lens in the assembly.

I've replaced most other bulbs on this car with LEDs and now my cornering bulbs and gauge bulbs do not come on. The parking lamps only come on when I signal. However, all the bulbs worked fine before I changed the front signal lights to LEDs. Fuses 1 and 7 are brand new, but have no power going to them. I'm hoping that it's just a matter of changing these other bulbs, but I bought a new headlight switch- to arrive tomorrow- just in case that is the problem.  I do have a wiring schematic for this car, in theory. It says it's for a 68, but it's wrong about half the time- my guess is that this was a "Monday" car.  :D

This will require more time than I have right now to provide an answer.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

cadillacmike68

There's a Big difference in wiring between 1967 and 1968. In 1967 and earlier the "parking lights" (switch pulled halfway out) turned Off when the headlights were turned on (switch pulled all the way out). in 1968 front and rear side markers were a gov requirement so the headlight switch and wiring was changed to keep the parking lights on (and the side markers lit) for both positions of the headlight switch. The harness and switch from 1968 and 1967 are different.

If the bulbs are good, then the ground has deteriorated. The ground is from the socket to the housing to the fender. Year, not real swift. In 1969 all the bulbs got their own ground wires and easy disconnect sockets, but we have 1967s and 1968s...

You might want to inspect and change the front side markers while you are at it.

For front side markers, Cadillac put a small, guide # 97A, an amber painted clear bulb in the same housing that has the cornering lights. For the rear they slapped a small lamp housing on the outside of the rear bumper with a tiny bulb behind a red lens. 

That 97A is no longer being made, and the amber coating will just about be all peeled off by now,  but you can take some orange highway marking spray paint and paint a few 97 bulbs. It works fine; that's what I did with my cars.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I don't know if it is an actual 97A or not for a 70 (manual not in front of me) but my local NAPA had the bulb with the amber coating. It wasn't out with the other bulbs but they had it in the back. I had to ask for it.
While the bulbs are out, clean the sockets with a little scotch Brite and contact cleaner. They get crapped up over time.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

cadillacmike68

I'll have to check my NAPA store for a supply of these - Thanks!

Same bulbs for 68 thru at least 1970. I used to have both 69 and 70 cars before. The bulb socket nonsense on the 68 came as a rude shock for me.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike