News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Code questions?

Started by DR60Special, December 21, 2017, 11:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR60Special

First Post here so please be kind.  I also used the search and it came up empty, so I have to ask.

Looking at a cowl tag on a 58 Eldorado Seville and the interior code is 54B.  I know that 54 is the Silver/Copper V and Crown code but I have no Idea what  the "B" stands for.  Anyone else know?  The car does have the original cloth on the back of the front seats so this seems correct.   Also an XK on the same line after a space on the Interior Trim Line.  Not sure what this is either?  I have the codes for the ACC Line but in the interior trim number line vexes me.  Help here?

Also the car has a code 48 for the Vicodec top although my specs manual doesn't show this as an option.  Could it have been special order?

Below is the tag.

Thanks a million for all the help

S Thomas

fishnjim

You can download the entire '58 specifications from the GM archives (GMheritagecenter.com) for free.   
If the "B" is off by itself, then I think that's the option package group but maybe different identifier for the eldorado seville.   They used letters for the options in '58.   I have the specs but there's >400 pages and not going to look this up.   

DR60Special

Thanks for the lead. 

Sadly, I scanned that entire document and no where did it list anything about a "B" code listed right after the 54 trim code.  Also, the Vicodec 48 Tahitian Coral top was not an option.  Is it possible this car could have been ordered with the 48 top even though none of the documents list it as an optional color?  I guess the alternative is the car was painted this color and someone altered the Cowl Tag or had a new one created???

Strange.  Anyone else want to chime in?  I'd love to hear thoughts.

Thanks so much for all your expertise.

S Thomas

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Here is a basic list of codes which may be helpful from the Raritan River region database complied by  Ralph Messina. Unfortunately no reference to the suffix B in the interior codes, which, beginning in 1959 would have indicated bucket seats.

Would be interested to know the significance of "B" in 1958.

http://www.rrrclc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CLC-Color-Database-2017-03-20.pdf
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

DR60Special

Thank you for providing feedback and the the Link.  That is an excellent resource.  I had reviewed this previously on my hunt to decipher the tag.

Still stumped.

I appreciate all the help I can get.

S Thomas