News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

67-78 eldorado

Started by 60eldo, December 23, 2017, 10:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Merry Chrismas guys,,,Im just wondering, are eldorado rims all the same and fit 1967-1978 eldorados?   Or are they different.
Jon. Kluczynski

76eldo

Johnny,

I think they are all the same however I am not sure if any of the 67's and 68's had drum brakes.  If so, the rims on a drum brake car may be different.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

J. Skelly

I think I've read on this forum before that at least two different part numbers were used at some point.  I've never tried interchanging wheels between my cars.

Disc brakes were optional on '67 and all '68s had them as standard equipment.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

TJ Hopland

Toronado people talk about wheels that only fit drums so apparently they do exist.   Its possible that maybe Cadillac just put the 'disc' wheels on all cars?  Even the few that got drums?   The reviews just about all complained about the brakes on the 66 Toro which was only drum so apparently many of the 67 Eldos were ordered with disc.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

James Landi

Some off topic---I owned a 67 Eldorado with drum brakes-- in part, because the car was both agile, quick, and quiet, it was often the case that the brakes "came up short" when one needed to make a hard stop while going at high speed--- brake fade!.  I recall just how much improved my 72 Eldorado was with a great disc brakes system all around.

Glen

The attached shows the 67 â€" 70 Eldo wheels have a different part number than the 71 and later wheels.  The 71 and later are welded vice riveted on the 67 â€" 70 Eldo wheels. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 76eldo on December 23, 2017, 10:23:32 AM
Johnny,

I think they are all the same however I am not sure if any of the 67's and 68's had drum brakes.  If so, the rims on a drum brake car may be different.

Brian

Discs were optional on 67 Eldos (not avail on RWDs>>), standard on all 68 Fleetwoods of which the ElDorado was classified, standard across the entire line in 69, so the wheels were the same. Riveted vs welded will not affect fitment. 66 Torodados had no option for disc at all, not sure about 1967 or later. This was a time of transition from front drum to front disc so there was a Lot of variation in all GM's lines regarding this. It wasn't until 1971 that the GM B bodies got standardized front discs across all lines and Cadillac was still different in 1971 from the rest, but went to the same setup in 1972.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike