News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Biarritz Frame Front Cross Member

Started by Paul Tesone, December 27, 2017, 02:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

Need the  frame front cross member to which the upper and lower A arms are attached . I've been told that this piece is 3/32" shorter on the convertibles than other models . Any thoughts ? Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

Roger Zimmermann

For 1957, there is just one part number for the front crossmember: #  3630863. The brackets for the upper arm suspension were separately available: same part for 1957 & 58: RH # 3630798, LH # 3630799.
Why this assembly should be shorter on a convertible?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Paul Tesone

Hi Roger - thanks for the information . You are correct . I was misreading the frame diagram and chart in my 1957 shop manual . According to the chart , there is a difference in the dimension of the "maximum spread of frame at front cross member ". The convertible measures 45 1/32" , and all other models ( with the exception of the commercial ) measure 44 15/16" . But the cross member itself fits within those dimensions . Now that I know the cross members are the same , I have to try and find a cross member to replace my cracked one . Hope all is well with you . ..... Paul

Paul Tesone

Roger - I'm wrong again ! I replied to your post too soon . Please check your personal email...... Paul Tesone CLC # 6876 .

V63

The front cross members on 57 and 8 were highly prone to this problem...ask me how I know?

They are usually successfully (welded) repaired...I don’t know if you have investigated that?

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Paul Tesone on December 27, 2017, 08:09:36 PM
Roger - I'm wrong again ! I replied to your post too soon . Please check your personal email...... Paul Tesone CLC # 6876 .
Paul, don't forget that we are not in the same time zone! I read your message this morning. I don't understand why the convertible should be wider by just 2.5mm. It does not make sense...By the way, the '58 shop manual has the same differences between convertibles and closed cars.
As W. Link wrote, those cross members can be repaired.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Carl Fielding

All the old time frame and axle shops 40-50 years ago knew how to deal with this problem on 57 & 58s. Welding and reinforcing after the owner noticed the car suddenly went grossly out of alignment. Recommend reinforcing before it cracks out on the road , if not already done.   - Carl

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

Where the bolts for the lower control arms attach to the crossmember. The metal is only 3mm sandwiched together. Stress cracks usually radiat out from the bolt holes. Results can be catastrophic ( which I know from my first weekend of Cadillac ownership in my days old acquisition , a 57 Sedan De Ville. The front end collapsed and the front wheels went akimbo )
Reinforcing plates can get welded to the flange of the crossmember.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

raugusti

Here is a link to an earlier discussion of this topic:
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=137316.msg310799#msg310799

My 58 Convertible has a thick plate welded all the way across the cross member on the drivers side.  I was considering swapping the cross member, but will wait to see if the repair affects the alignment before checking to see if my parts car is any better off.
My 58 Seville shows no evidence of the issue though.  I wonder if it affects the convertibles more?

Scott 
Scott Augustine
Colorado, USA
'58 Series 62 Conv.
'58 Eldorado Seville

Paul Tesone

Thank you all for your input . Upon complete inspection , the passenger side of the  cross member is cracked , and the driver's side has had a repair sometime in the past . My restorer and I decided to replace the entire cross member . I'll keep everyone updated . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876 .

V63

All models are susceptible equally. I want to think that the probability is increased as the front suspension wears. There was a time that the lower ball joints were really scarce...and VERY expensive. They failed early and I suggest that the forces from this continued mis alignment might factor? I bought a 58 60s that had been laid up since 1969 due to this.