News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Decorative trim around '70 Fleetwood vinyl top

Started by J.C., December 27, 2017, 02:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C.

Hi, Folks,

I'm having the vinyl top on my '70 Fleetwood redone right now.  A question has arisen about the silver-colored pieces that go around the edges of the vinyl.  My mechanic couldn't tell whether those pieces are chrome or plastic.  FIRST QUESTION: Are those pieces chrome or plastic? 

This is an issue because it looks like one of the previous owners of my car may have painted part of those trim pieces black to match the vinyl top.  I think they've been painted but my mechanic wasn't so sure - he thought they might've been colored that way by the factory.  I want to bring the car back to original condition, which brings me to my SECOND QUESTION: Were those trim pieces painted black or did they come from the factory that way?

Pictures attached.  Any input would be most appreciated!  Thanks!
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I have a Deville, not a Fleetwood but probably the same.
They are metal but not sure if stainless or not.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

jagbuxx #12944

Those trim pieces were factory painted to match the top cover. The beaded edges were left unfinished/polished look.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

wrefakis

these are original sure could use photos of your 70 lower molding area as shown with trim off??

cadillacmike68

The paint was a factory application and the metal is stainless. Back then Cadillac did not use much, if any, aluminum for its bright metal trim.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike