News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

68 DeVille fuel tank

Started by Giant Jason, December 28, 2017, 10:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Jason

I got some new pipes for my baby for Christmas. When we went to cut the old ones off to install the new pipes, we noticed that my fuel tank was leaking in 4 different places- the neck, front, and both sides. So rather than start a fire, we put off the project until I change the tank. I wonder if someone can recommend a tank and make suggestions as to what else to change at the same time. My fuel gauge is working but I still plan to replace the sending unit. Should I add an Airtex pump and what are the advantages to that?

Thanks for any help/suggestions-
Jason

cadillacmike68

An inline electric pump with a toggle on/off switch up under the dash won't hurt, and it can make starting after the car has sat for a week much easier.

Change All the rubber lines and any questionable steel lines back there.

Nit sure where to get a replacement tank, you can't have it repaired?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

mario

Jason:
I pulled the one in my son's 68. If your interested, I will see if he would sell it. It has been out 2 years. Did not leak, only removed it for an internal pump for fuel injection tank. I am in San francisco, ca. Let me know.
Mario caimotto

Giant Jason

Mario-
How did the tank look inside? I'm in Tampa, FL and I'm interested. I need the filler neck too.

cadillacmike68

Jason, we're close but I don't have an extra tank. I had a leak in mine repaired. Is yours deemed not repairable?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

mario

Jason:
I will check it for you. We reused the filler neck. Mike is correct, the tanks are repairable. Usually by older radiator shops. Might be worth it to check out. Let me know.
ciao,
Mario caimotto.

TJ Hopland

Mario, do you remember what car's tank you used on your project?   And what sort of modifications were needed?  If there were not any significant mods that may be an option here too.   If something like a Chevelle tank fits without too much trouble those are easy to find.

Permatex and JB have very nice epoxy repair kits but if you have issues in 4 areas its likely thin in many more spots. 

I have heard good things about the professional tank coating processes.   DIY is more mixed results.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

Yeah, it depends on if it's rusted or cracked. Mine was cracked. A poorly mounted trailer hitch (which is no longer there pushed up on it when the car bottomed on a crazy driveway.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

mario

Jason:
This is the tank I used smaller but deeper. Needed it for fuel injection. The factory one was not deep enough for an 'in the tank' pump. Major surgery on the fill nozzle as this one points upward. Really a nice install but not an easy bolt in.
ciao,
Mario caimotto

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=418/category_id=153/mode=prod/prd418.htm

mario

Jason:
I checked the inside of the tank through the fill tube. Everthing I can see (there is a baffle about 10" inside) is pristine. I could see no rust.
ciao,
Mario caimotto