News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1971 eldorado exhaust manifold ceramic or paint or?

Started by NORTHPORTGUY, December 29, 2017, 12:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORTHPORTGUY

Am the process of solving an exhaust leak and have purchased two respectable used exhaust  manifolds.  i had them machined  so they should be flush with the heads and have gotten some nice s/s replacements studs and nuts as well as 8 individual "donut" gaskets.  I will get them back from sandblasting tomorrow.  that shop recommends two coats of POR 15 hi temp paint and put them on...  sounds like a plan but I'm temped to waste still more money on having them ceramic coated.    my experience with that process is  long ago but positive.  i believe it will look great but other say ceramic coating  will flake.    some limited reading leads me to believe the inside of the manifold gets treated when ceramic coated  and heat transfer improves.     also i'm not sure what to do with the heat shield.    anyone experienced with either both processes who can offer a word of wisdom and perhaps a recommendation or a warning with respect to service providers. It would be appreciated. 

Ken Wiebke   member 23013

35-709

Hi-temp black paint is what I used on my heat shield after sand-blasting it --- the hi-temp POR 15 should work fine.  Make CERTAIN your heat riser valve works freely and properly (or wire it open, or eliminate it) or your time and money ultimately will be wasted.  Possibly the cause of your problem to begin with.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

signart

I have had good results from ceramic coating on m/c pipes, inside and out as you mentioned. Have had no bad results after blasting & coating. You have to take extreme care when installing so as not to damage the coating. After heat from exhaust is applied, it becomes more durable. Not all that expensive.
Art D. Woody

TJ Hopland

I would presume its like any other finish where 90% of it is surface prep? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

FWIW here's a shot of my eldo showing the Powder coated heat shield after a couple of years of use.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

Whatever process one uses, make sure that the flange surfaces are plain cast iron.

Any paint or other coating will compromise the sealing and lead to leaks.

As for the heat shield, once the anti pollution stuff is removed, there is no need for that part as well.   Actually, it isn't a heat shield, but a heat collector to feet hot air up into the air cleaner to aid in faster warm-ups when starting the engine in cold weather, which you in America seem to have a lot of.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

I tried engine paint twice. Even the expensive Hirsch Cadillac Dark Blue engine paint got black very soon. This time i had them ceramic coated. It hasn't gotten black after a few weeks. We'll see how it lasts.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

CORVAIRWILD

I'm sure a quick Google search will turn up plenty of advice

cadillac ken

I own a Restoration/Custom Car shop.  The high temp "ceramic" coating is the only way we go with these OEM manifolds and custom headers. 

Through the years we've tried all the paints, "aluminizing", etc.  Sandblast the manifolds clean and send them to a reputable hot coating company.  I have used Jet Hot in the past and they are true pros with unmatched customer service. They have a vast selection of colors now and even have a nice satin gray that very closely resembles a factory cast look. 

We are fortunate enough to now have a local shop that is doing this and they are excellent.  We just did the manifolds on a 1967 Chrysler 300 (factory satin cast gray).  The customer was very happy.  And I can do this with confidence since I know they will look good for years and years to come.

The only way to go IMO