News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

HELP! Leaking Final Drive

Started by danjarrett1, January 02, 2018, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

I have a 1974 Eldorado convertible, affectionately known as “CADZILLA” I bought the car a few months ago expecting a few repairs, and so far, everything I’ve found has not been that much of a surprise. I am struggling  with one issue that I cannot find any documentation on. I bought the GM 74’ Service manual, ( it’s a well written manual in my opinion) but there’s very little about the final drive. I have a fair amount of leakage around the whole pumpkin, it may be that the output shaft seals are leaking but it’s hard to know exactly where the leak is because the differential cover is leaking.  Here's the dilemma, the previous owner gobbled a ton of sealant on it but I'm not sure that it's right, does anyone know if there is an applicable gasket for the cover or is it sealed only with silicone sealant?
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

The cover can be sealed with a Silicone, if you don't have a gasket, as there is supposed to be a gasket there.   I use Loctite 5900  silicone, as this stuff is also compatible with Auto Trans fluid.

The side seals are replaceable, but one must remove the axles to gain sufficient room to access these.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

danjarrett1

Thanks for the reply, I intended to try to locate a gasket or maybe even a part number from a diagram for a gasket....using correct  silicon formed gasket is an option, and in the end, will likely be the solution. Just wondering if anyone I. The Eldo word knows if there was a gasket there when this thing left Detroit!
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

danjarrett1

What is the gasket refered to? The only gasket that I can find is the replacement gasket between the final drive and the transmission! I cannot find a reference to a differential cover gasket. Anyone have any idea where to find one? OPGI doesn’t t recognize it, neither does Caddy Daddy. Any other resources I should check??
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

I too could never find a replacement, but the Shop Manual refers to one as a Seal Cover Gasket.

Plus, the Shop Manual makes note of sending the Third Member back to the Dealer for the Factory to service it.   The internals are not designed to be rebuilt by outside shops.

Bruce.  >:D

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

It's called a Final Drive Cover gasket. Group # 5.399 Part # 231285 in the MPL. Might be available GM or try NAPA.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

kkkaiser

fel pro seems to have a lot of stuff,, gaskets etc,, funny i needed a oil pump gasket, and when i called them, they said they didnt have one, but the DID have one that was included in a package of engine gaskets,, so, i goes you have to be broad with your do yo have questions

danjarrett1

Thanks, I’ll try a GM source using the MPL part number.
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

danjarrett1

FOUND ONE..... Mahle/Victor Gasket on Amazon. P23883 Axle Housing Cover Gasket is how it is described, $12.  Thanks all
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Dan,
I might suggest that before you start chasing leaks, clean the area completelt to bare metal (or paint if it is there) and drive it a couple of blocks.  You should then be able to determine the source of any and all leaks.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

danjarrett1

That’s exactly what my plan is! I intend to clean it thoroughly, Drive it and try to identify the leak. I’m confident that the cover seal is seeping, my concern is that the drive out put shaft seals are leaking as well..but clean and drive will tell
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

bcroe

My money says its not the axle seals.  Some of the replacements
are not really up to the standard of the originals.  Is it gear lube
or trans fluid? 

Note also, there is a pair of seals between the trans and the
final drive, and a small vent in the area.  Might have a piece
of wire sticking out.  Bruce Roe

danjarrett1

Good suggestions! I’ll look into those areas. Really need to get is all cleaned up then drive it and see what manifests
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Check to be sure that vent isn't plugged. It could be mostly dry but leaking when the pressure builds up.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

danjarrett1

YES! A plugged vent will cause the case to be pressurized and blow seals, had that happen on a transmission once!
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: danjarrett1 on January 02, 2018, 11:54:25 PM
FOUND ONE..... Mahle/Victor Gasket on Amazon. P23883 Axle Housing Cover Gasket is how it is described, $12.  Thanks all
Do you have a link??
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

danjarrett1

Amazon. Can’t forward the link from here found it on amazon
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

TJ Hopland

The original gasket is 2 layers and one of the gaskets has a slot in it that is the vent.   If the last person just sealed it with sillycone its not vented so when it gets hot it just looks for any place to escape it can find. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

fishnjim

If the mileage is high and the bearings and seals are worn, then gaskets won't help (unless it's just the diff cover leaking).   Seepage around the pinion seal is a tell tale of gear wear and loss of proper lash.