News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado: Rear View mirror fell off

Started by LenInLA, January 03, 2018, 02:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

I discovered the rear view mirror lying serenely in the passenger seat... Can someone suggest what adhesive I should use to reattach it?  Thanks a lot!

Len Grayver

Dan LeBlanc

Over the counter parts store stuff doesn't work well

If you stop by pretty much any glass shop, they'll bond it back on for you in less than 10 minutes and cost you less out the door than if you did it yourself.

When I was in the auto glass game, I used to do it for free.  Good will gesture - hoping that if they needed something later down the road, they'd remember and be back.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

You can do it yourself but you need to purchase the correct adhesive.

Ordinary Super-Glue is not durable enough to last very long. 
There is a special glue (auto parts stores have it) which is
purple in color that's specially made for this application. 

Scrape (razor blade) all of the old glue off the inside surface. 
Don't forget to mark on the outer side where the correct spot is. 
Clean the inside area with alcohol or acetone to insure a good
bond.  If you can remove the mirror from the bracket, all the
better.  Apply adhesive according to package directions.

Wait at least 24 hours, reattach mirror and you're done.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

76eldo

Len,

An Allen wrench will loosen the set screw that allows you to slide the mirror mount off of the metal "stone" that gets glued to the windshield.

Scrape any glue residue off of the windshield and the metal piece and you can re-glue it to the glass.  Hold it up to the windshield for a goof 3-5 minutes.  The store bought kit has two parts, and activator that prepares the surface, and the actual adhesive.  Only use one drop of the glue.  When you press it to the glass it will spread out to cover what it needs to cover.  If you use too much it will be too wet and will not dry and stick.  Wait at least overnight to reattach the mirror.

This is a good DIY easy project for about $5.00.  If you find a cooperative glass shop that's a good option too.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

How about Flex-Glue?  that crazy phil swift is peddling it now...  :P
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

I have never had issues using the 'kits' you buy from parts stores.   They have the cleaner, glue, and activator.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

A number of years ago my wife was complaining about the mirror falling off again.  She was asking why this happens.  I was busy and just made an offhand comment that it was probably caused by the UV light from the sun.  The next thing I know she had glued a piece of aluminum foil to the outside of the windshield to cover the mounting point of the mirror.  She then covered the foil with an American flag decal.  The car still sits outside in the sun and the mirror has not fallen off since.  I copied her on my S10 and Colorado. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104